• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Making our way to Pompeii

Elephant

I’ve been a creature of habit and now my family have booked to go to the Sorrento Hilton - and I know nothing about it. We’ll need to travel from Naples airport to Sorrento Hilton to Pompeii and Herculaneum and I’ve no idea how to do that. Can you offer advice? Thanks

This post duplicates another post of yours about travel from Sorrento to Pompeii on the Italy forum, so I will respond to the airport to Sorrento question.

Use a car service or taxi to Naples train station, and train to Sorrento. We have flown into Naples Airport a few times and either take a taxi to a hotel in Naples or have a car service pick us up and take us to Positano.

Ask your hotel which car service they recommend. Here are a few others to consider:

CAR SERVICE NUMBERS
Limousine Sorrento Renato Driver, recuomo@tin.it, phone +39 339 161 2081
https://www.amalficoast-excursions.com/ - look under Airport Transfers

Claudio Lucibello Ravello Taxi, info@amalficoastcarservice.it, phone +39 339 702 8395

Salvatore Criscuolo Amalfi Car, amalficar@starnet.it, phone +39 338 202 4678

Giordano Car Service Amalfi, giordanocarservice@gmail.com, phone +39 338 154 7960

Yes, I would absolutely use the bus rather than the train. You could save one measly euro by taking the Alibus to Napoli Centrale (5 euro) and the Circumvesuviana from there to Sorrento (3,90 euro) but it's not worth the hassle of the extra stop.

Also, I use the Circumvesuviana only under duress, I will almost always look for an alternative. It provides the function of transportation, barely, and that's about it. It may be the most uncomfortable transport in all of Italy, and I say that as a big user of public transit.

With the bus you get on once and ride in relative comfort, with a seat and working AC (neither of which is usual on the Circumvesuviana). The bus and the train arrive to the same place in Sorrento.

To get to Pompei and Herculeneum from Sorrento you are limited to either the aforementioned (and trashed) Circumvesuviana or its upgraded cousin, the Campania Express.

The Campania Express costs a little more but it's still relatively inexpensive, the major downside is that there are only a few runs each day so you need to work around its timing.

Campania Express 2019 schedule and pricing are here: https://www.eavsrl.it/web/content/campania-express-2019

Circumvesuviana local train schedule here: https://www.eavsrl.it/web/sites/default/files/eavferro/NAPOLI - SORRENTO L1_0.pdf

The Pompei Scavi stop (same stop on either train) is just around the corner from the Porta Marina entrance/exit to the ruins at Pompei.

This map can help orient you, the train station is in quadrant C1 and the Porta Marina entrance is in quadrant C2: http://www.unicocampania.it/files/mappe/pompei.pdf

The stop on either line for Herculeneum is Ercolano Scavi. From the station to the entrance of the ruins is a short walk, less than half a mile, straight down Via IV Novembre from the station. When you reach the end of the street you'll cross Corso Resina and walk through the arch and down the path to the ticket office. You can see all of this on google maps.

One additional consideration is getting from the bus/train station in Sorrento to your hotel. It's not far, just eight-tenths of a mile according to google maps, but it's uphill (from 213' altitude to 404' at the hotel). That won't be a big deal unless you are moving your luggage, on those days you might want to consider a taxi from the station. Just be forewarned that even a short taxi ride in Sorrento is very expensive.

As @ellen pointed out the location may be a problem for getting around. We stayed there once because we used points and it was a bit of a hassle walking back and forth rather than being in the centro where everything is easy to reach.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina