• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Malta-small is beautiful!

Dana

100+ Posts
Just returned from four days in Malta- I hadn't been back since 1980, when we took the ferry from Catania and it had only recently declared its independence from Britain, and had sent the Royal Navy packing. Its reputation then was as a low cost sun and sea package resort for Brits, competing neck and neck with the likes of Torremolinos and Lloret del Mar in sea.

Not surprisingly, it's changed dramatically, and although much more built up and crisscrossed with new roads thanks to the EU, mostly for the better. Valletta the capital, built by the Knights of St John in the 16th century is a golden limestone gem and getting a huge facelift for its upcoming role as European Capital of Culture; the food and wine are much better as Maltese cuisine is rediscovering its roots; there are over a dozen extraordinary Neolithic temples— the oldest free standing buildings in Europe (used to be the oldest in the world, until the discovery of Gobekli Tepe in Turkey), you can swim with the tuna, and the Maltese are a delight and speak English. And on the new fast ferries from Pozzallo, on the south tip of Sicily, it's less than two hours away.

Here are some pics- views of Valletta Grand Harbour from the Upper Barraka gardens; Gigantia, the oldest Maltese temple, on the island of Gozo; a typical street scene in Valletta; the Blue Grotto on the north coast; and lastly 'Sweet Haven' where they shot Popeye with Robin Williams, back in 1979. They've shot countless films on Malta, but this is the only set that has survived.
DSC_0025.JPG
DSC_0101.JPG
DSC_0045.jpg
DSC_0490.JPG
DSC_0592.JPG

... there are over a dozen extraordinary Neolithic temples— the oldest free standing buildings in Europe (used to be the oldest in the world, until the discovery of Gobekli Tepe in Turkey), you can swim with the tuna, ...
Wow!! (Neolithic temples) and Yuck!! (swim with tuna)

I saw the ferry from Sicily advertized there on our April trip. They even offered a one day tour of Malta. The town the ferry goes from, Pozzallo, did not look that interesting, but it was not far from Siracusa or Noto and the other Baroque towns.

Wow!! (Neolithic temples) and Yuck!! (swim with tuna)

I saw the ferry from Sicily advertized there on our April trip. They even offered a one day tour of Malta. The town the ferry goes from, Pozzallo, did not look that interesting, but it was not far from Siracusa or Noto and the other Baroque towns.

We spent two weeks in Valletta over Christmas and New Year's a couple of years ago, and loved it!

We did a day trip that seems to be the inverse of what you describe, Pauline -- take the catamaran ferry over to Sicily and be shown around Sicily for the day. Obviously a whirlwind day, but still interesting.

It was amazing how packed Malta (and Gozo) is with things to see/do/learn/drink/eat. Even after two weeks, we didn't feel like we'd seen it all, which surprised us given how small the country is.

Need to go back... :)

Thanks for this. I might be going on a business trip to Malta in February 2015. I knew nothing about it but the more I read, I'm getting excited (especially about the temples). Going to check out your blog now...

Hi Dana, beautiful photos and interesting post. I enjoy learning about movie locations whenever I travel. Malta looks and sounds like a great destination. Thank you for sharing.

Great news Annie! I'm looking forward to hearing more about your trip to Malta!

Annie, you'll have a good time on Malta if you go; do be sure to book a ticket the 6000 year old Hal Saflieni Hypogeum well in advance—it's spectacular but entries are very limited. Kathy, the list of recent films and TV series set on Malta is pretty amazing, including World War Z, Gladiator, Troy, Munich, Agora, the first series of Game of Thrones...and Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt went there on their honeymoon to scout out location for another (at least according the latest press release from Maltese Tourist office!)

Hi Dana, thanks so much for the additional movie & TV series filmed on Malta. Loved Gladiator and I liked Troy & WWZ. And of all the places Angelina & Brad could've have honeymooned in picking Malta over them says a lot. Now I'd like to visit too.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina