• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Marche

JJH

10+ Posts
Hi,
I'm contemplating a trip to Marche for around 15 days at the end of September. For my previous trips, I exclusively used public transportation (staying in Bologna, Lucca, Spoleto, Rome and the Amalfi Coast). This would be my first time renting a car in Italy. I would be picking up and returning the car in Ancona (arrival/departure airport). I'm wondering if this would be too far outside my wheelhouse as Marche is a bit off the typical tourist path. Any thoughts as to whether Marche is a good region to explore for someone renting for the first time?
John

Hi John,
driving in Le Marche is, in my opinion, a very good starting point: there's not much traffic (except the occasional rush hour along the coast) and in late September there are not many tourists so everything is quieter. On the other side, Le Marche is not well known abroad, but it's a destination for Italians and an increasing number of European tourists (mostly the coast, but also some parts of the interior) so there's plenty of information offices, activities, museums and things to do... you will not be abandoned in the middle of nowhere ;)
I don't know what kind of travel you're thinking about, but, being here on Slow Travel, I assume that you will not be willing to rush from town to town and from hotel to hotel. Le Marche is a "long" region, where communications are much better between the interior and the coast and along the coast rather than north/south inland. For this reasons I suggest to choose two (or maximum three) bases one in the Northern part of the region and one in the Centre/South (or North, Centre and South).
I hope that this answered your question a bit... I'll be glad to suggest places to see and things to do up here near Urbino and suggest nice accommodation options in the Southern part of the region if you wish.

15 days is a nice, long stay. I think a car is required to really see Le Marche, and it takes longer to get from place to place than you might expect so you might not accomplish as much in a day as you are used to.

Do check into festivals while you are there. We attended a couple during our stay there in October several years ago. One was a truffle festival that, for reasons we never figured out, was paired with a motorcycle festival. It was odd but entertaining to wander around the booths selling everything you could think of using truffles, while listening to a contest where people tried to make the most realistic sounding motorcycle sounds using just their voice and hands.

We took several long drives over the mountains where we would only see another car every ten minutes or so, it was easy driving but a good map (or GPS system) is necessary.

One was a truffle festival that, for reasons we never figured out, was paired with a motorcycle festival. It was odd but entertaining to wander around the booths selling everything you could think of using truffles, while listening to a contest where people tried to make the most realistic sounding motorcycle sounds using just their voice and hands.
:rolleyes: :joyful: Sant'Angelo in Vado, I presume...

Yes, I think that's it Giulia. We walked around the Domus del Mito before the festival as I recall.

By the way, for the OP if you're considering Le Marche do check out Giulia's agriturismo, it's absolutely beautiful.

HI John:

Marche is off the beaten path and that is what makes it a lovely place to see and September is a great time to go. I am bias as I have family their and my grandfather was born and grew up in Fano. I visit them often and it is a lovely area. You have your choice of the ocean and mountains. La Travola Marche, Saint'Angelo is a lovely place to stay. It is a working farm. Here is their website www.latravolomarche.com. I recommend going to Urbino and of course you need to see San Marino. The sunsets from this area are amazing. You can drive down to Apulgia and spend some time in that area as well. So much to see. If you get to Fano my cousin has a pastry shop. Stop by Pasticceria Valentina. His pastries are amazing. I can make other recommendations for accommodations and sites to visit if you are interested.

Sorry I can't help, but I'm reading with interest, as this is a region on our radar as a possible future destination

My husband and I have been to Le Marche 5 times since 2011. It's our favorite region in Italy. We always have a rental car when we go to Italy, and it's really easy to drive everywhere in Marche. The roads are pretty open (not a lot of traffic) and having a car allows you to access some of the more beautiful and untouristed areas. We will be going to Italy again in early October this year, but it will be our first trip since 2011 where we won't be going to Marche. We were there at the end of May last year and our friend who travels with us wanted to see some different parts of Italy on this year's trip. But, I'm pretty sad that we won't be able to be in Marche again this year.

We lived in Ascoli Piceno for a little over 2 years and only managed to see part of the region as there is SO much to see and do. You have a coast that varies from cliff side (Conero) to wide lidos (San Benedetto), rising into picturesque hills before mountain peaks along the west edge. The food and wine is as varied and wonderful as the scenery.

Le Marche is not so much off the tourist path for Italians, Europeans and our friends from Britain (there is an area called the "Golden Triangle" due to the number of foreigners who have bought there).

We always enjoy going back to visit the area and our friends. Le Marche hasn't advertised well like Umbria and Puglia...but others' loss is our gain ;)

I've been to Ancona twice. Both times with a vehicle. I have a friend there who is a tour guide. The first time I was only in the city center. While wonderful, I have to admit that there is so much more to see in Le Marche if you have a car.

There are so many gems around the region to explore, and the car is the best way. Driving is fairly easy, especially around the rural areas. The autostrada along the coast can get busy, and as Giulia pointed out, it's often easier to go down a valley to the coast then along it and back inland than to drive north-south in the interior.

I can second Ellen's recommendation of Valle Nuova as a beautiful and hospitable farm stay. We loved our week there and would return again in a heartbeat. Urbino, Urbania, Fermignano, and Fossombrone are a few of the worthwhile towns in the area (but there's a ton). In the center we loved Jesi and Recanati. The Conero is stunning. Tiny Torre di Palma and Cupra Marittima Alta and Grottamare Alta are charming towns above the sea. Ascoli Piceno is a jewel (sh, don't tell anyone ;) )

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina