• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

MCS traveler Paris lodgings

Listenup201

Hi All,

New to Forum. Thanks for setting it up, Pauline.
Are there posts which address the issues of finding chemical and fragrance-free accommodations? I am looking for mcs-safe places to stay in Paris.

When booking a vacation rental (from an agency, through HomeAway or AirBnB), I ask if they have plugin air fresheners or scent sticks in the apartment and don’t book if the answer is yes. I sometimes ask if they can provide fragrance-free sheets, but most can’t. One disadvantage of vacation rentals is that usually the cleaner washes the sheets and normal European laundry soap is very scented. In hotels sheets are usually washed in a professional laundry and in my experience they use unscented laundry soap.

I travel with a set of sheets (2 flat sheets), pillow cases and pillow allergy covers. This helps but the duvet or blankets can be scented. If they are, I hang them outside in the sun. If I find fragrances in the place I open all the windows and give it a good airing. That is usually good enough for us. We’ve never had to abandon a place.

If you need an MCS (multiple chemical sensitivity)-safe place try finding a local MCS group. Just asking about fragrances like I do isn’t good enough if you really need an MCS-safe place. You will probably need to search in French. My husband speaks French and I could get him to do some searching if you like.

Also be aware that Paris is very polluted on the busy streets. The air in UK and European cities can be worse than US cities because of the popularity of diesel cars. They were promoted as “green” but years later they are finally realising how bad these emissions are.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina