• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Milan Car rental

Mark

100+ Posts
We will staying in Milan about a 20 minute tram ride south of the Duomo.
Will be heading South to get on the A7 toward Alba.
Anyone have any luck picking up rentals at urban locations, not airports or train stations.
We are looking at Sixt, Budget, Auto Europe and Hertz.
So far Sixt has ourtrageous prices and Autoeurope is getting slammed in reviews.
We are club members of Sixt, Budget and Hertz hence their inclusion on the list.

No experience in Milan, but I've picked up rentals at urban locations in Torino, Verona and Bologna without a hitch. You read of complaints that offices sometimes don't open on time (or close early) - but if that might happen sometimes, then just don't go at potentially "problematic" hours (for example, exactly at opening hour, or fifteen minutes before closing time...).

In Milan itself it looks like you've got a Hertz office that gets generally good reviews and is an easy 9 minute metro ride from the Duomo :

Another one that might be closer to you, but not rated so highly :

Also, I use AutoEurope only, and have never had a problem (not that I travel frequently...).

Last edited:
Thanks Joe, The Hertz location at Via Giovanni Pezzotti was one I was thinking of. It is only a 7 minute walk from where we are staying.

One cautionary note (which may not matter to you at all). Locations other than airports and train stations may not have fluent English-speaking staff.

Note that Auto Europe is a broker that arranges rentals with the major rental companies and has you prepay the rental. It's an affiliate of Slow Europe (has a link on forum pages), as it was previously with SlowTrav. I remember that in 2014 or 2016 they didn't give me satisfactory answers over customer service issues after the rental, but I don't remember the details. Another site to look at is www.autoslash.com , which reviews discount codes that may be out there (including with your memberships) to find the best price and can keep watching for price decreases after you book. This would be for payment at the time of the rental.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina