• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Montepulciano - Driving routes

Ana3

10+ Posts
Hello all,
We will be staying in Montepulciano in September for 4 days and I'm looking for suggestions for driving routes to explore the surrounding area. I prefer to split up seeing the various towns over 2 days. Towns of interest are Pienza, Montalcino, and Pitigliano, and we're open to other suggestions as well. We prefer to travel no more than 1 1/2 hours away from Montepulciano. Can anyone please recommend 2 driving routes?

Easy: San Biagio, which is walkable, albeit it's a decent workout walking back up into the town. There is parking there.

Nearby: Although there are lots of drop in tasting rooms in the town itself, visiting out of town wineries can be a more rewarding experience. A special mention for Daviddi out near Stazione Montepulciano, who are a smaller family run place, and were utterly charming with us. In addition, they usually have an older vintage or two available, for little extra than the current vintage, and they age well. A surprisingly under the radar winery.

Nearby: Chianciano Terme, if thermal bath relaxing appeals, and the centre seemed nice and relaxed as well.

A little further: We never went to Lago Trasimeno, but I suspect that might be ideal for a drive, as that allows you to stop wherever takes your fancy. Also with the car, I'd be tempted to look for the less visited / less touristy small towns.

Siena: We stayed nearby and were somewhat disappointed in it. The campo and the old pedestrianised main thoroughfare to/from it felt rather over-touristed, food was rather hit and miss (we enjoyed Montepulciano and Pisa(!) rather more), and it even had something of a bland/aloof feel. One food highlight was the friday morning farmer's market, which showed the quality that is possible. It was in the small old market (Piazza del Mercato IIRC). Even the national wine museum was dull and aloof (possibly due to incessant doubts about its sustainability). When we transferred to Siena, we took the bus ("pullman") from Montepulciano's bus station, and it drops off very centrally in Siena. That convenience might make this a day to leave the car 'at home'.

Nearby Monticchiello is worth a visit as is San Quirico d’Orcia. On your way to Pitigliano you could stop by San Salvatore to see the Abbey and mediaeval village.

Hey Ana, I am currently writing trip reports "2023 Spring Northern Italy" the last couple included our stay in Pienza and we covered some ground. I suspect your 1.5 hour driving limit will be cut down considerably! Please check them out!

Easy: San Biagio, which is walkable, albeit it's a decent workout walking back up into the town. There is parking there.

Nearby: Although there are lots of drop in tasting rooms in the town itself, visiting out of town wineries can be a more rewarding experience. A special mention for Daviddi out near Stazione Montepulciano, who are a smaller family run place, and were utterly charming with us. In addition, they usually have an older vintage or two available, for little extra than the current vintage, and they age well. A surprisingly under the radar winery.

Nearby: Chianciano Terme, if thermal bath relaxing appeals, and the centre seemed nice and relaxed as well.

A little further: We never went to Lago Trasimeno, but I suspect that might be ideal for a drive, as that allows you to stop wherever takes your fancy. Also with the car, I'd be tempted to look for the less visited / less touristy small towns.

Siena: We stayed nearby and were somewhat disappointed in it. The campo and the old pedestrianised main thoroughfare to/from it felt rather over-touristed, food was rather hit and miss (we enjoyed Montepulciano and Pisa(!) rather more), and it even had something of a bland/aloof feel. One food highlight was the friday morning farmer's market, which showed the quality that is possible. It was in the small old market (Piazza del Mercato IIRC). Even the national wine museum was dull and aloof (possibly due to incessant doubts about its sustainability). When we transferred to Siena, we took the bus ("pullman") from Montepulciano's bus station, and it drops off very centrally in Siena. That convenience might make this a day to leave the car 'at home'.
Thanks, Ian. I appreciate your input. Interesting about Siena. It may not be a priority for us but will give it thought since you mentioned that the bus is quite convenient. However, I suspect that we may not want to spend time on a bus when we could drive to smaller/unknown villages. Also, on the topic of ZTLs I know that we need to be aware of the ZTL zones and that it will be in effect in some of the towns, however generally speaking, are they in effect on the roads within these areas leading into these towns?

Hey Ana, I am currently writing trip reports "2023 Spring Northern Italy" the last couple included our stay in Pienza and we covered some ground. I suspect your 1.5 hour driving limit will be cut down considerably! Please check them out!
Thank you, I'll check it out!

however generally speaking, are they in effect on the roads within these areas leading into these towns?
Hi Ana
I've not encountered a ZTL outside of the centre of cities / popular towns and although some have expanded over the years, I don't see them breaking outside the 'city limits' any time soon.

As for Siena, if it's not a priority, then I think you're absolutely right to focus on smaller places where the car is much more practical / essential. From our own perspective, we were more taken by a day from Siena to Colle val d'Elsa, than 5-6 days in Siena itself, Colle feeling more like we were able to embed in the local culture. I suspect that would also be true of the smaller towns in closer reach of Montepulciano.

You will be able to fill many days within an hour drive. The Lake Trasimeno area is a favorite - Castiglione del Lago (palazzo, castle, boat to an island on the lake), Panicali, San Feliciano, Maggione, Passignano, even up to Cortona makes a nice loop. Sarteano (castle), Chiusi (old mozaics in church, etruscan museum, underground tour), and Citta della Pieve (Perugino artwork) are all worth a stop. North to Buonconvento, Asciano and Monte Oliveto abbey and the beautiful scenery of the Crete Senseri makes a lovely day. You may want to travel a little further over to Umbria to Assisi, Montefalco, Spello.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina