• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Greece Multi-day Walks in the Peloponnese area or nearby

Maytag

Hello -
My partner and I are beginning to explore ideas for a multi-day, village to village walk somewhere in the Peloponnese. We are very comfortable with long hiking days as well as 5, 10 or 15 days (or more) of walking.
I was wondering if anyone on the forum might have an experience to share or suggestion. Our timing would be March, April or May of 2024.
I am new to this forum so please let me know if this is not the type of topic that is covered here.
Many thanks - deep appreciation for this forum.

Here's a list of tourist attractions along the route from Nafplion to Corinth, two cities in the north-east region of Peloponnese:

Nafplion:
Palamidi Fortress - A stunning Venetian fortress offering panoramic views of Nafplion.
Bourtzi Castle - A small castle on an islet in Nafplion's harbor.
Nafplion Old Town - Explore the charming streets, squares, and shops.
Archaeological Museum of Nafplion - Houses artifacts from the region's history.
Acronauplia - The oldest part of Nafplion, featuring ancient walls and fortifications.

Epidaurus:
Epidaurus Ancient Theater - Known for its exceptional acoustics, this theater is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Sanctuary of Asklepios - A healing center with fascinating ruins.
Epidaurus Archaeological Museum - Displays artifacts from the Sanctuary of Asklepios.

Mycenae:
Mycenae Archaeological Site - Explore the ancient citadel, including the Lion Gate and Treasury of Atreus.
Mycenae Archaeological Museum - Houses Mycenaean artifacts and treasures.
Cyclopean Walls - Marvel at the massive stone walls of Mycenae.

Corinth:
Ancient Corinth Archaeological Site - Discover ancient ruins, including the Temple of Apollo and Acrocorinth.
Acrocorinth - A massive fortress overlooking the ancient city.
Archaeological Museum of Corinth - Features artifacts from the region's history.
Corinth Canal - Observe the impressive canal connecting the Aegean and Ionian Seas.
Corinth Old Town - Explore the charming streets, squares, and cafes.

I hope this itinerary helps :)

Thank you Nicko90 - some great tips on the area you mention.
Have you done much walking/hiking in the Peloponnese?
After we walk the Peloponnese Way, we would be interested in finding a spot to stay for a few weeks that would allow us to explore some days hikes in the Peloponnese area if you have any suggestions.

Is hard to find a single spot and from there to hike to most of the tourist attractions of Peloponnese. But I can give you a few places to stay, and what you can visit up to 20 - 30 km around them:

Nafplion:
Nafplion is a picturesque coastal town and a great base for hiking in the north-eastern part of the Peloponnese. You can explore nearby trails in the Argolic Gulf, including the Palamidi Fortress and the Akronafplia Peninsula. Also is a lot to see in the Nafplion Old Town.

Kalamata:
Kalamata is located in the southwestern part of the Peloponnese, and it offers access to the Taygetos Mountains. Here are some beautiful gorges and trails, including the Vyros Gorge and the Taygetos Mountain Trail.

Sparti (Sparta):
Sparti is on the eastern side of the Taygetos Mountains. Here you can explore the southern part of the Peloponneseup to the Mani Peninsula. Besides the ancient ruins of Sparta, you can visit the Byzantine castle of Zarafona to the east.

Pyrgos:
If you want to explore the western part of the Peloponnese, including the ancient site of Olympia and the beautiful Neda Waterfalls, consider staying in Pyrgos.

Dimitsana:
Dimitsana is located right in the middle of Peloponnese. Is a charming village that serves as a gateway to hiking trails in the Menalon Mountain range. It's a great choice for those who enjoy forested routes and pristine nature.

Pylos:
This coastal towns in the southwestern part of the Peloponnese is ideal for combining coastal walks with historical sites like Methoni Castle or the Palace of Nestor in Pylos.

Before deciding where to have your base, consider the region's geography, your preferred hiking difficulty level, and any historical or cultural sites you'd like to visit. I hope this helps :)

This is great...thank you Nicko90.
We are looking forward to planning our trip for next spring and this information will be very useful.

@Maytag - it has been 11 years (we were there in 2012), but we LOVED Nafplion. We had friends who allowed us to use their apartment in Vivari as a based, so we often went into Nafplion after our days out exploring. Good Luck!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina