• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Murano Glass Factory Recommendations? Burano Lace?

Gina2178

10+ Posts
Background:

My husband, mother-in-law (MIL), two daughters (9, 11), and myself are venturing to Italy for 14 days in June. It's my MIL and our girls first trip to Italy.

I've been to Venice twice in recent years but have never visited the islands. Since we haven't been AND my MIL is an artisan this is a must. Besides, the girls might like a boat ride and a change of scenery too.

From researching, I know some factory tours are better than others. Many tours are free or cost a few euros, but can be strong on the selling. The tour doesn't have to be free either. (I looked into the Seguso experience, but 500+ euros for 1.5-2 hour tour is just too much.) I am just trying to find a place that will give an up close and personal view of this craft. I usually don't like to plan this sort of thing out, but having a plan is the key to success when traveling with my MIL. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I know Jan booked a guide for a Murano tour, she can tell you more about it. I made note of it because it sounded great. Here is her blog entry. http://keepyourfeetinthestreet.com/2016/10/murano-2/

I loved the lace museum on Burano. http://museomerletto.visitmuve.it/en/home/
I've made knit and tatted lace, so I was fascinated both by the wonderful displays and the ladies upstairs who are working on their pieces. One of the docents helped translate a conversation with one of them. Burano is also a fabulous place to get off the main street (choked with made-in-China "lace" shops and tour groups) and photograph the marvelously painted homes on the back streets.

I am bringing a small group to Venice in June and would love to be able to recommend a solid tour of the glass factories in Murano. The problem is the ones I'm aware of are either terribly commercial or prohibitively expensive. About 20 years ago Barb and I took one of the factory tours solicited by a water taxi driver. The glass blowing demo was interesting and then came the hard sell - and I DO mean hard sell. The salesman started by taking us to a very expensive showroom and then worked his way down to the cheaper stuff. When he realized we were not buyers his demeanor became increasingly impatient and we were finally unceremoniously dumped out the back door into a scrap yard. Unfortunately, this sort of sales tactic is used by several of the factories on Murano.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina