• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Help Needed Need Alitalia carryon allowance weight clarification

Cameron

500+ Posts
From the Alitalia website:

HAND BAGGAGE

YOU ARE ALLOWED ONE ITEM OF HAND BAGGAGE WEIGHING NO MORE THAN 8 KG AND MEASURING NO MORE THAN:
  • 55 cm HIGH
  • 35 cm WIDE
  • 25 cm DEEP
SIZE AND WEIGHT

The hand baggage you bring on board with you may weigh no more than 8 kg and measure no more than 55 cm in height, 35 cm in width and 25 cm in depth including handles, side pockets and wheels.

Alitalia also lets you bring an accessory of your choice from the following:

• Briefcase
  • Laptop computer
  • Handbag/Small Purse
  • Small Backpack
I------

I read this as -- my overhead storage bag must meet the size/weight restriction, but not my underseat accessory bag.

Am I correct that it is not a combined weight of 8kg?

I believe you are correct and that's how I would understand it, too. They're assuming that each of the four items that are allowed as an optional "accessory" are relatively small and thus negligible weight-wise (at least as far as the passenger is concerned).
Last time I flew with them (in 2008 I think, an experience I will not repeat), both my wife and I had backpacks as hand baggage, plus my wife had a handbag with her, and they only checked the weight of the backpacks.

Correct. They only weigh the carry-on, not the purse, etc. I usually use a tote bag about the size of your daypack as well as a carry-on. If you fly Premium Economy or higher, they don't even weigh the carry-on. I can't guarantee they never do, but haven't for me in several trips.

On my flight from Rome to Palermo, no bags were weighed. It was a large plane 3+3 seats. I saw roller bags that were larger and heavier than mine, which weighed 7kg.

I’ll fly from Catania to Rome on my return. I’ll report back.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina