• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Needle in a Haystack

Aussie Greg

10+ Posts
Back in June 2019, I posted a question asking if anyone could identify a location of a photo in Tuscany
12_b.jpg

Many helpful answers and I was finally able to obtain the GPS coordinates thru Getty images.

In May this year, we stayed in Radda in Chianti, and i went looking for .....and found this scene.
Here is my photo of the scene
DSCN4535.JPG

Thought members may be interested. It's just near Ville di Corsano, quite close to Siena. In fact from the viewpoint where I took my photo, you can see Siena in the distance.
Loved tuscany so much, we will be back there in June 2023!
Aussie Greg

Thanks for this Aussie Greg. I remember trying to find the place in Maps. Great that you managed to visit the real place, that must have been quite a thrill.
It's also possible to see why it was a bit difficult to find the place - that row of cypresses was not yet visible in the original photo (although in hindsight it might be possible to see small dots in the first photo). Also, because this is apparently on a dirt road, the Google car didn't go there - so harder to find in a search.

I am doing the opposite now : using Google Maps in 3D mode and Street View, looking for scenic roads that I will bookmark for a trip next year (hopefully) in Italy.

s1.png

Last edited:
Back in June 2019, I posted a question asking if anyone could identify a location of a photo in Tuscany
View attachment 39568

Many helpful answers and I was finally able to obtain the GPS coordinates thru Getty images.

In May this year, we stayed in Radda in Chianti, and i went looking for .....and found this scene.
Here is my photo of the scene
View attachment 39569

Thought members may be interested. It's just near Ville di Corsano, quite close to Siena. In fact from the viewpoint where I took my photo, you can see Siena in the distance.
Loved tuscany so much, we will be back there in June 2023!
Aussie Greg

I believe the cluster of buildings at the back of your photo of a long and winding road, complete with a cypress tree, is where my husband and I rented a 3 bedroom house. Named Villa Corsanello, it was and may still be owned by a family from Monteroni d'Arbari. It was set on a rise with rolling cattle grazing fields, colored with various hues of beige and dark brown. Just gorgeous!

Carol

I'm guessing that @Aussie Greg took his photo where I've put the red arrow in the Google Map photo below.
That would make the line of cypress trees belonging to Agriturismo Poggio Repenti. But hard to tell.
We'll have to see if Greg answers here.

s2.png

Edit - actually I now see that the coordinates are indeed exactly the spot where the photo was taken. I just had to turn the map around a bit to get the right angle towards the row of cypress trees.

Last edited:

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina