• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

One more thought - renting a car in Lugano drive to Italy and return to Lugano - issues with going into Italy with rent car from Switzerland?

reajackson

10+ Posts
I am wondering - would there be any issues renting a car in Lugano, Switzerland (I will be there first) and then head into Italy for a week only to return car to Lugano?
Are there border crossing issues with rental cars in Europe?
Thanks again.
Rea J
Colorado

To my knowledge they only make issues of it if going to Eastern Europe. With Auto Europe, you can have them send a tentative voucher before you pay, and I think that will have a statement about it.

There won’t be any issues. You may have to tell them when booking that you are going into another country. This solves your fly or train back to Zurich issue. You can return the car at Zurich airport.

I actually was thinking of doing the opposite... flying into Rome, renting a car, and spending a week traveling up the coast and ending in Switzerland. So there aren't any issues with that and car rental?

If you're talking about a one-way rental, that would likely have a high drop-off charge when returning it in another country.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina