• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

One way fees on car rental in Italy

LindaG

10+ Posts
I am looking at a pick-up at FCO (Rome) drop-off at Malpensa, economy car in November. They are coming up with a one way fee of $53 to be paid locally. Is this new? I’ve rented for many years one way with no fee. A year or so ago they listed huge one way fees in Sicily but it was many months before my trip. When I booked closer to the trip, there was no fee. I am looking at Autoeurope and Kemwel with Europcar or Hertz as my choices.

Have those of you with oneway rentals recently found this fee applied?

Thanks, Linda

I just rented from Hertz (through AutoEurope) picking up in Venice and dropping off in Florence. There was mention that there may be an extra return fee locally but we didn't end up paying one.

On our last trip to Italy, we picked up a car at the Venice airport and toured the Po Valley. We had planned to go to Lucerne and then Stuttgart so I checked into keeping the car and returning it in Stuttgart. I was quoted about $470 for a small station wagon from Venice to Milan over about two weeks. If I wanted to take the car to Stuttgart, the price quoted was about $13-1400. We took the train from Milan.

I was just looking at car rentals and it does seem that there is a one way drop off fee. It varies greatly from one company to the next. Dollar and Europcar seem to be the least expensive and Hertz an Avis seem on the high side. I was looking at rental from MXP to drop off in Venice.

Yes, on previous trips Auto Europe hadn't charged dropoff fees, but this year they quoted a fee, as did Hertz with whom I finally booked through Priceline: €11 from downtown Rome to FCO.

Thanks for all your replies. I guess it is a sign of the times and like everything else in Italy, costs are higher. I understand a fee when the drop off point is a small town or not on a major route, but not from major airport to major airport. I'll keep checking as the last time they said there was a one-way fee, there wasn't one when I rented closer to the time of the trip.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina