• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Ongoing Quiz

Ian Sutton

1000+ Posts
A slight divergence from previous weeks. This quiz is intended to be a permanent quiz thread, the idea being that when someone correctly guesses one of the questions, they replace it with one of their own, so there are always 5 questions available to answer. You can attempt to answer as many questions in the same post as you wish.

To make it easier for everyone, when you get one right, and thus have to set a new question, could you include the current outstanding questions alongside your own, so that the latest post holds all the open questions. Could you also put your user id against the question so it's easy to know who the person who posted it was.

Ok here are 5 to get us started, of varying levels of deviousness:

Which country has the highest crime rate in Europe? (Ian Sutton)

In which County of England was the University of East Anglia founded? (Ian Sutton) (with credit to the taxi driver in Norwich who delights in setting quiz questions to his passengers)

What type of animal are the Canary Islands of Spain named after? (Ian Sutton)

Who was the first King of (the united) Italy? (Ian Sutton)

Which country, whose capital is one of the three official capital cities of the EU, is also the name of a region within a neighbouring country? (Ian Sutton)

Last edited:
Correct indeed!
The o/s questions are currently:

In which County of England was the University of East Anglia founded? (Ian Sutton)

What type of animal are the Canary Islands of Spain named after? (Ian Sutton)

What US state has only one syllable? (artnbarb)

Which country, whose capital is one of the three official capital cities of the EU, is also the name of a region within a neighbouring country? (Ian Sutton)

What type of animal are the Canary Islands of Spain named after? (Ian Sutton) - Dogs
What US state has only one syllable? (artnbarb)- Maine
Which country has the highest crime rate in Europe? (Ian Sutton) - ? Moldova

Correct on the first one, but not on the crime rate - that question is even more devious - as a clue, the rate is expressed per head of population.

So at least one new question to add, but I think Maine is also correct, so that would be 2 new questions.

Sorry, misread the rules
In which County of England was the University of East Anglia founded? (Ian Sutton)

Where would you find the city of East London? (TimW)

Where would you find Edinburgh of the Seven Seas? (TimW)

"Which country has the highest crime rate in Europe?" If the majority of the crimes were committed by, and upon, non residents - then possibly Vatican city?

Which country, whose capital is one of the three official capital cities of the EU, is also the name of a region within a neighbouring country? (Ian Sutton) -- Luxembourg

Where would you find the city of East London? (TimW) -- South Africa

If I'm right (I don't know if I should wait), I'll post this:

How did Termini, the main train station in Rome, get its name? (Andrew)

What is the town of Ortisei called in the language of the majority of its population? (Andrew)

Tim is correct on the Vatican city (thank the excellent TV programme QI for that one)
Andrew is correct on Luxembourg

so that gives us the current questions as:

Tim's question goes here (Tim W)

What is the town of Ortisei called in the language of the majority of its population? (Andrew)

Andrew is correct on East London

What structure, built between the Firth of Forth and the Firth of Clyde represented the Northernmost point of the Roman Empire ? (Tim W)

Hi Tim
Is the structure Hadrian's wall?
regards
Ian

In that case the Firth & Clyde Canal fits geographically, and naturally the original waterways that preceded it would have been sensible borders for an empire. So let's go for that, even though it was built long after the Romans had gone.

No guesses for the first one? As a clue, the older amongst us have a better chance than the youngsters.

Ian, your clue is of no help whatsoever - I keep thinking "defunct counties?" - but only Rutland springs to mind, and that must be too far from Norfolk.

Hi Tim
It's not Rutland, but you are definitely correct in defunct counties being the key.
regards
Ian

I'll have to guess Huntingdonshire for the EAU question.
Ortisei - I have absolutely no idea - I have to presume this is somewhere on the old Austrian/Italian border region, so presumably it has a German name?
Termini station - I am at a loss - I think the area around it is Termini - but whether the station is named after it, or visa versa - no idea. I'm guessing that the word doesn't have the same route as Terminus (too obvious), but then the only other thing I can think of in Terme (Spa) - so small spas - doesn't make any more sense.

A couple of Clues on my outstanding questions - The Roman Structure - Ian has right idea but wrong emporer
Edinburgh of the Seven Seas - about as remote as it is possible to get.

Last edited:

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina