• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Opinion for first night

Django

10+ Posts
Hello fellow slow travelers-

I wanted your opinion on a matter. Our plane will be coming to Venezia at 1920. I will be honest. I’m not quite a big fan of Venice. I’m planning to stay in either Vicenza or Padova (I used to live in Vicenza for a couple years).

The thing is by the time we get through customs, grab our bags, and activate our SIM cards I’m thinking it could be 2010. Then we’ll need to grab that shuttle to the train station and get to the place.

So I’m thinking of getting s place in Mestre for the first night.

Smart idea? My main concern is just being able go drop bags and get a table at a decent restaurant before they close up. This is a Saturday but I’m not sure how tired we’ll be.

Should we just brave it and get to Padova or Vicenza?

If it was me, I'd look for the most reasonable-looking agriturismo closest to the airport, and just settle down. They might even be willing to drive you from the airport. One with a nice trattoria in the neighborhood could be good if you're hungry, or better even if they serve a dinner themselves.
Just open Google Maps on the vicinity of the airport, and type "agriturismo" in the search bar. You'll probably have at least ten pop up.

If it was me, I'd look for the most reasonable-looking agriturismo closest to the airport, and just settle down. They might even be willing to drive you from the airport. One with a nice trattoria in the neighborhood could be good if you're hungry, or better even if they serve a dinner themselves.
Just open Google Maps on the vicinity of the airport, and type "agriturismo" in the search bar. You'll probably have at least ten pop up.

Haven't thought about an agriturismo Joe. Might not be a bad idea. We're going to be staying in the area to get over the jet lag until Tuesday. Then we're headed to Florence for a few days. We're only in Italy for about a week this time. It's a short trip.

I meant just for the one night, until you transfer to Padua. I wouldn't stay in the area of the airport for more than that.
I always plan our departing flight so that we arrive no later than four or five in the afternoon at our accommodation, even if this means getting up earlier than usual. This gives us the extra bit of time to settle down and be rested, in preparation of our first full day.
We planned on getting to Padua last year, while on a trip to Bologna and the area of Verona, but in the end it didn't work out. I'd still be happy to include it in a future trip. Have a good vacation!

Agriturismi are a wonderful option for accommodations in the countryside, we always choose this for when we're outside of cities. Here's a thread if you need help :

If the purpose of this one night is just to get over jet lag I'd go for the path of least resistance, a hotel within walking distance of a train station (in this case, presumably Mestre) to head to your real destination as soon as possible the next day.

While I too love agriturismi, I can't see going out of your way to find one just to sleep at for one night, and where would you eat that night? How would you get there?

The train station has the benefit of regular public transit to and from the airport, no worries about how to get to an off the beaten track place and then again from that place to the train station the next day.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina