• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Orvieto Underground Tour

Sharon J

100+ Posts
We have been to Orvieto many times, but have never seen where the underground tour is located, or the cost. Also, can I reserve the tour in advance?

I just read an article on Orvieto and now planning a stay there. One of the things mentioned was the underground tour. Haven't traveled since before the pandemic, so I am really itching to go.

Thanks Jan. Loved your blog. We have been staying at Nico's Sant'Antonio property outside Montepulciano for years. However, we always visit Orvieto, as the little Restaurant La Palumba is one of our favorites, as well as Orvieto. For some reason, we have never visited the Underground Tour. Very much looking forward to it.

Our tour is booked for October 4th. We visited the underground a couple years ago, but it was offseason so it was unguided. We're looking forward to an informative tour.

Thanks, Jan! I enjoyed reading your blog. Orvieto seems like a lovely town. I believe I did stop there for a few hours on my very first trip to Italy many years ago.

The underground tour is not to be missed. It's a great way to start your stay in Orvieto as it gives an historical context both in culture and geography. It's the first activity I do with my tour guests. the guides are always very thorough and it takes about one hour. The office for tickets is sort of kitty-corner from the cathedral, towards the left of one if standing with one's back to the cathedral.

Cheryl
www.italianexcursion.com

Will this underground tour be too tight for someone 6'5"?
The galleries are not at all claustrophobic. Not all are this big, but a comfortable place to visit.
1662855344675.png

Alpinista is correct! As you can see in the photo, very spacious. There are a couple of stairways that are tight, but I've taken tall folks and not lost a one, yet!

Hey, Alpinista, I'll be in Orvieto the same time as you. Maybe we can find time to say hello. My tour guests don't leave until 10/12 but I incorporate down time each day. It would be great to meet you in person!!!

Ciao,
Cheryl
www.italianexcursion.com

Hey, Alpinista, I'll be in Orvieto the same time as you. Maybe we can find time to say hello. My tour guests don't leave until 10/12 but I incorporate down time each day. It would be great to meet you in person!!!

Ciao,
Cheryl
www.italianexcursion.com
Cheryl, thanks for offer, but we're not going to be in Orvieto this trip. We used to use Orvieto as a first day stop between Rome and Lucca, but have for quite a while been stopping at a terme to get over jet lag. Just did Bagno Vignoni for the first time in May and are going to be back there next week to start our fall trip.

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood. Have a wonderful trip. I'm so looking forward to going again. It will be my 3rd trip in a year after the 2 years of isolation for all of us!

Ciao,
Cheryl
www.italianexcursion.com
Hope you have a great trip!! Also our third to Italy as we enjoy the ability to travel again. We managed to get to the Bahamas, Belize, and Antigua during the travel shutdowns, but nothing is the same as Italy.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina