• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Over-Planning Versus Day by Day

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
We'll be in the Cotswolds this summer for 10 nights. We arrive on Saturday, and depart on a Tuesday, so we'll have 2 weekends there. We've booked Gifford's Circus for a Tuesday evening, and are hoping to attend a Pudding Meeting on a Friday evening.

Because the weather is an unknown, I've been hesitant to make any further reservations, but noticed that Warwick Castle tickets are discounted if you buy them ahead of time. My desire to save a few bucks is being overridden by my fear of bad weather!

How do you all plan your vacations - do you buy tickets ahead of time and hope for the best, or do you just take a more laid back approach?

I love to research our trips; it's part of the fun for me. I do day by day itineraries mostly to group things together in the same area. We prioritize the most important one or two sights per day but stay flexible with everything.

We're spending 6 nights in London in July in a prebooked apartment. We will be pre-booking the Special Exhibits at the British Library and National Portrait Gallery and the Tour of Parliament. I've requested a Londor Greeter tour of Greenwich too. We want to take the London Eye, which is cheaper if you buy ahead, but I won't pre-book because of weather.

Husband says I'm a little obsessive but he sure appreciates all the pre-planning once we're on the ground!

I understand! It's hard to plan ahead but not really make any plans! I'm probably obsessing, so I'm just going to take a deep breath and try to relax - which is, for most people, the whole point. I think for us the whole point of vacation is having that perfect mix of new experiences while allowing for serendipity and lazy days!

I agree with JustTravel, Barb. I research like crazy before a trip because it is pure entertainment to me. But I only book transportation and accomodations in advance.

I try to do a lot of research for a trip, but sometimes I just don't get to it. Our trips go much better when I have time to do a lot of research.

I make a google map showing our accommodations, food shops/bakeries, day trips we want to take.
I spend a lot of time with the map trying to memorize town names so navigating will be easier.
I make a list of "days out", things we can do in one day - and lay out a rough idea of how we will spend our week.

When we are there, we usually follow my rough plan for our days out. But we never get to everything on my list.

I wouldn't book ahead for Warwick Castle unless it was a huge savings.

I do a ot of research and if there is something special such as a play in London I really want to see or an art exhibit, I book and then just go with the flow. The same with a restaurant if it's really special. I also research bakereies, grocery stores and shoe :) shops but don't necessarily go.
I never book ahead for castles and things. Personally I'd rather pay a little more and not be locked in to something like that. But then I'm not a big castle fan.

I will book restaurant in Siena as only there for 1 afternoon with friends and don't want to wander around trying to find a place and same for Florence as arrive on a Friday for 1 night.

We pre-booked for Buckingham Palace Summer tour in September of 2011 because (I think) I read it sells out. And I'd definitely grab tickets to Highclere Castle if it was open when we're visiting (sadly, it's not). Yes, I'm a castle fan! We're "only" planning to visit 3 castles in England this year but I'm making up for it with plans to see lots of castles in the Loire and Dordogne in October. No pre-booking needed!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina