• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Overnight stop between Aix/Marseilles and St. Jean de Luz

chachalaca

100+ Posts
Hello,

Does anyone have a suggestion for an overnight stop between Marseilles and St. Jean de Luz? (We're actually coming from St. Zacharie in the Var). We could drive it in a day, but we have the time to stop and take the drive slowly. A chambre d'hote? Auberge? Something unique or sweet in a small village or town? We'd be looking for a room, dinner and a walk around the area.

Merci en avance,
Laura

Thanks, Pauline. Yes, we've been there; it's beautiful from a distance and when there are no tourists the center IS beautiful.

Beziers? I haven't been there but have been nearby. I think it might be too large.

You could go inland to Minerve. @Valerie recommended it to me. Or to Penzenas. I thought of going there. I think @Parigi stayed there. Both of these are smaller towns.

The seaside is dreary along that coast, so I can't recommend a seaside town. But maybe Sete on the coast would be interesting. I have read a bit about it.

Well, the "other half" took matters into his own hands when he saw the Tour 2017 schedule. We'll be staying in Foix! It's just an overnight, so... Right? And it is always fun to see the Tour depart or arrive or even pass by. Thanks, Pauline!

You could drive through Mirepoix on your way to Foix. It is a beautiful town (you could overnight there and still be close to Foix). @Chris recommended it to us and we stopped there when driving from Carcassonne to see the cave art at Niaux (south of Foix). Maybe you can work in a tour of the cave? It was spectacular. More info here.

Thanks! We've been to Mirepoix and agree that it is incredible. We had a backup reservation there until the Tour info was learned. The cave...I am going to check that out. I love this forum!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina