• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Parking in Spain

wco81

100+ Posts
Going to Northern Spain in early to mid July.

Though I've booked mostly accommodations with parking arrangements, I may need to park for a couple of hours in Bilbao.

I checked Google Maps and I see pictures of yellow, green/white and blue lines on the city streets.

They're either parallel to the curb or slanted parking spaces.

Has anyone dealt with these different colors?

Yellow seems to be no parking, though I've seen pictures of cars parked or at least stopped within yellow lines.

Green seems to be for cars with resident permits of some kind.

Blue seems to be for metered parking so you have to have the receipt visible under the windshield.

In Europe, yellow lines mean no parking (there may be brief exceptions for deliveries). Yes, blue means limited time/paid parking.

Even if you see locals parking on yellow lines, don't imitate them ! Retrieving a towed-away car is expensive and inconvenient, and they seem quite keen on this in Spain. When parking on the street, look around carefully for signs specifying how long you can park, and whether you need to pay.

So I found that at least in Northern Spain, you do NOT want to park in white spaces, especially along curbs. There will often be "R" or other letters and numbers and those denote residential spaces requiring permits.

Yellow lines are also no parking either, though I stopped at one with the flashers on to unload baggage.

Blue lines are paid but for a maximum of 2 hours.

Green lines are paid with a max of 5 hours.

At least the latter is the case in Bilbao.

Plenty of free parking around Llanes though they got filled by midday. But in San Sebastian, you had to pay to be in town.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina