• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Peratallada?

Sidney

10+ Posts
Looking for a small town or village to stay for a few days in mid-May. Anyone ever stay in Peratallada? Would it make a decent base? We will have a car and just want to relax and drive around the area after we leave Barcelona. Your thoughts and suggestions are welcome. We are not looking to stay at the beach.

Hello:
wWe found the whole area enchanting. We chose as our base Palau-saverdera, near Roses. It is north of Peratallada near the border.My trip report, "Alt Emporda: more brava than costa"' will provide some sense of the area and possible places to stay. We recommend the Niu de Sol highly. There is an accommodation review also.
Happy travels
Dennis

Thank you for your reply Dennis. I enjoyed reading your trip report and hotel review. It sounds as though you had a lovely time. We are quite interested in the hotel you recommend but are wondering about the town itself. Did you find it a pleasant place to spend your evenings? Or is it just an easy place to come and go from? We are not interested in night life but do enjoy going out for a simple meal and walking around whatever town we are staying in in the evening, enjoying the ambiance. Thanks for your input.

Sidney:
We are avid walkers and used P-s as a base to explore trails in the area. It was quiet at night but pleasant to walk around. Merce is able to suggest places for a quiet drink or meal. This site provides information on the town: http://visit.palausaverdera.cat/en/home.html . This brochure is in Catalan: https://palau-saverdera.cat/sites/pdfs/municipi/guia_turistica.pdf You may wish to email the town council to see if there are any festivals on during the time you're thinking of visiting. Perhaps P-s is smaller than you're wanting. Take a look at google street view in maps to get a sense of the town.
Dennis

Thanks for your input Veronica. I will look into the two towns you mentioned.
Dennis, thank you so much for your helpful suggestions and website information. We decided to select P-s and the hotel you recommend as one of the places to stay during our time in Catalonia. Unfortunately when we went to reserve it on their website it was totally booked for our dates. We emailed Merec expressing our disappointment and asking to be informed of any cancellations. This morning she emailed back and we were able to make a reservation after all. In the Pear room! We still have one other location to decide on, but the trip is coming together.
As usual, the travelers on this forum have been wonderfully helpful.

Veronica's choices are also spot on. Although, Monells is even quieter than P-s. it is worth a stop on a sunny day for a stroll around and coffee on the square. To add to your deliberations, take a look at Ullastret. The nearby proto-Iberian settlement and museum are worth a look. The town is also larger.
Dennis

Yes, Ullastret is worth a visit too, although I wouldn't want to stay there. I have quite a soft spot for Begur as we spent two months there a few years ago. It's touristy in summer but still has life out of season. Lots of nice places to eat, and while not directly on the sea it's within reach of lovely coastal spots like Sa Tuna, Sa Riera, Calella etc. The main urban centre around there is Palafrugell, which has a great market. And a patisserie on the square where we loved to take post-market coffee and cake along with half the town's population :)

My continuing thanks. Wondering if either of you can recommend a guidebook for the area. I bought a Marco Polo guidebook for Costa Brava, but it is four years old and doesn't have much more than a paragraph on most coastal locations, and nothing inland. Other guidebooks have a paragraph or two on the Dahli sights and Girona, but not much else. I have been depending on Internet searches. Would love to find a book that covers Catolonia in more depth if one exists.

We liked "Costa Brava Landscapes" by Sunflower Books. It gives driving tours, walking suggestions and picnic areas. I haven't seen a new edition of it but the information about trails and secondary roads should remain valid.

Glad to hear it. Pass on my and Margaret's best wishes to Merce and her family. Fill up a couple of litres at the local co-op!
Dennis

Hi Dennis. Interesting article. Thanks for sharing. We were actually in that area two days ago, at Castellfollit de la Roca. A visually stunning village on basalt rock. Both sides of the rock were worn away by rivers. It is a very narrow village!

5E76E3E4-EF33-4E20-BD4B-265B0E08F846.jpeg

Catalan flags are everywhere, as are yellow ribbons to protest the political prisoners being held by the Madrid government. We saw a sign at the entrance to several villages proclaiming themselves to be a “Municipality of the Republic of Catalan”. Sadly, we have only one more day here before we begin our journey home.
5E76E3E4-EF33-4E20-BD4B-265B0E08F846.jpeg

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina