• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

PERUGIA OR VITERBO & VILA LANTE

Kalpana

10+ Posts
I am going to be in Orvieto for 4 days in March.second visit.i have one day to do day trip & having hard time to choose between Perugia or viterbo & vila lante. some of you may have visited both places & which one may be worth the day trip?
Thanks for input from any member.

Viterbo is very much like Orvieto in feel.

Perugia is much larger and gives you a little more vibrancy (is also a university town, which adds to the entertainment value of being in the square at night if you extend your day trip through dinner). Perugia also is close to Gubbio and Urbino which have lots of little things to do and see (the funivia in Gubbio is a thrill). Have never been to Villa Lante. There is public parking at the bus station in Perugia and and a series of escalators which mercifully take you to the upper town.

Won't go wrong with either choice.

I found Viterbo to be much more navigable than Perugia if you have mobility issues. Perugia is close to assissi if that would sway you.

Well, this would be a tough choice for me and I'm an Orvieto/Lazio-aphile. But I think it depends on whether you prefer the larger experience versus a smaller, quieter one. Viterbo and especially Villa Lante is a quieter, slower experience for a day trip. There are more than 100 fountains in Viterbo and a grand Palazzo to explore. It's got wide, winding walking spaces and some lovely neighborhoods. The oldest part of town is very special, with little or no activity whereas Perugia always has some tourism happening. Villa Lante is always a wonderful respite from the busyness of the world and it truly feels like you are back in time. Sometimes there are are no more than a half dozen people roaming the gardens and that's in May or October, so March will be very still.

Whatever you choose will be perfect.

Ciao,
Cheryl
www.italianexcursion.com

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina