• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Photo of the Day - March 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
We cut it a few feet on top, but it loses its leaves in the winter, so looks bare. I got a landscaping company in recently and they told me the green parts that I like because they stay green all winter are ivy and the ivy is killing the hedge trees. So they are going to come in and remove all the ivy, clean up the hedge and cut it even more!! They want it to be six feet high, instead of ten feet as it is now. They said it will grow back better. And they are going to put laurel plants into the hedge and they stay green all winter.

The exciting part is that we are going to replace that fence (which is held up by those pieces of wood and the clematis plant) with a regular hedge that you buy pre-grown. It will be 5 feet tall and 10 years old. That happens in the fall.

Brown, grey and dry are today's attributes over here :

R0004264_stitch.jpg

Last edited:
Joe, the hills in Napa used to be almost that brown during our 3-year drought. This spring for the first time in 3 years, after a winter of almost nonstop rain, we have green again on our hills. Here's a view from our walk this morning. Those hills were desert brown until a few months ago.
IMG_7195.JPG

And another photo of clouds over the mountains:
IMG_7194.jpg

Joe, the hills in Napa used to be almost that brown during our 3-year drought.

Hi Roz! That's interesting to hear. But I suppose that the use of the word "drought" is relative : here the average annual rainfall is around 20 mm. (millimeters). How much rain does Napa get in a "drought" year?
Even 10 mm. of rain, if it descends all at once, is enough to get the desert relatively blooming here - but this year we didn't get even that (although the previous three winters were blessed with above-average amounts).

Last edited:
Joe, I don't really know how much rain fell here during the drought, although I'm sure it was over 20 mm a year. But of course Napa is not in a desert region, and our vineyards need the rain!

Love that view, Kathy!

We started our day with a couple of adventures with the local birds. First, we looked out the window and saw this couple walking down our river path.

View attachment 3236

We used to see wild turkeys quite often when we lived in Massachusetts, but we'd never encountered them before in Napa. We followed them down the path, until they flew up on a neighbor's rooftop and eventually disappeared. So we went for a walk around the neighborhood, and unexpectedly saw them again about a mile away before they vanished again.

We were on our way home when we saw a male duck just sitting in the middle of the street. We thought he was sick, but then decided it must have been lovesickness when we saw Madame Mallard standing and watching on the other side of the street.

View attachment 3237

She walked across to his side, pointedly ignoring him and settled down in the bushes. He finally seemed to get up his nerve and over the next several minutes gradually approached her, making what we guessed were courting moves -- flipping his tail and bobbing his head.

View attachment 3238

But she kept playing it cool, and we never did see them get any closer together, although we watched for quite a while. Eventually it started to rain (which of course did not bother the ducks) so we just came on home, wondering if the romance was ever consummated!

I'm intrigued with your story....it's like a soap opera!

My husband got me an ice cream cake for my birthday today and I said "oh, aren't you sweet!!" And then he put on the candles.... Did I say "sweet"? I meant to say "jerk"! :p

IMG_20170325_154647_755.jpg

Also my mom made me a birthday pie...with one candle on it. She's my favourite... ahahaha

IMG_20170324_142727_025.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We are doing the walk 1000 miles in 2017 thing and Saturday is the end of our walking week, so we needed 4 miles to make our 20 for the week (this is how I think now). We got 5.5! Walked from our house to a nearby village (Shipton Gorge) and had sandwiches in the churchyard. This was our view - the sea is over that hill. A gorgeous day - sunny and upper 50s F. The same is forecast for the next few days. Tomorrow @jonathan and his wife Philippa will be walking with us!

IMG_0326.JPG

We are in a stretch of 4 days of magnificent weather. Today was 57F and sunny. The wind was not bad. @jonathan and his wife Philippa came down for a short visit. Today we walked to West Bay, to show them the Broadchurch things, then we walked on the coast path up to Thorncombe Beacon. Lunch in West Bay sitting outside in the sun.

Here we all are, in two batches. Me with Philippa and Jonathan, then Steve with them. East Cliff in West Bay in the background.

full

full

Spent the day in the land of Thomas Jefferson and even enjoyed a glass of wine. Spring will be in full bloom if we could just get some sun.

winejeff1280.jpg

WineJeff011280.jpg

The scene in my neck of the woods today....the patriarch of "our" wild pheasant family is out and about in the snow.
Oh yes, it's snowing. Again. Winter really doesn't want to let go! First we had several hours of freezing rain and ice pellets though, just to make sure the driving conditions are as slippery as possible...I'm working from home today.
IMG_5378.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina