• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Pienza vs Bagni Vignoni

Pienza vs Bagni Vignoni

• Bagni Vignoni

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neither... choose another town

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

katietravels

One of our days in tuscany we are going to a cheese maker/farm outside of Pienza. We will also go swim at hot springs of Bagni Vignoni outside of the town. We have time to walk around 1 town to explore. Any advice if we should pick Pienza or the town of Bagni Vignoni? I would like a less touristy town. Interesting place to walk around just for 1-2 hours to explore. Thank you!!

We are two families traveling together. 6 adults and 5 kids (ages 9-14). It will be a Saturday in July.

We were in Pienza two weeks ago and out of the 12 towns and cities we visited on this trip, it was one of the one that we loved the most! Unfortunately. I cannot comment on Bagni Vignoli, since we did not go there. So yeah, I would highly recommend Pienza! :)

Last edited:
The town of Bagno Vignoni is pretty small. You can see it all in under a half hour. I'd do your exploring in Pienza. Maybe eat in Bagno Vignoni after your swim.

Pienza but I believe you will find it quite touristy but attractive. Two hours could include lunch....

You could also check out Monticchiello about a 15 minute drive from Pienza or Bagni Vignoni.
Small but gorgeous town.

We will also go swim at hot springs of Bagni Vignoni outside of the town.
The hot springs in Bagno Vignoni are more about soaking your feet. The hot water runs in a small channel through town and then over a cliff. I think there is a pool at the bottom of the cliff, but if I remember right it is small.

I agree with the post above. Bagno Vignoni is really small. 10 minutes to walk around. Pienza needs more time. Don't forget to walk behind the church were there is a lover's lane with views to the countryside.

Photo from our 2015 trip.

The hot springs in Bagno Vignoni are more about soaking your feet. The hot water runs in a small channel through town and then over a cliff. I think there is a pool at the bottom of the cliff, but if I remember right it is small.

I agree with the post above. Bagno Vignoni is really small. 10 minutes to walk around. Pienza needs more time. Don't forget to walk behind the church were there is a lover's lane with views to the countryside.

Photo from our 2015 trip.

Here are a couple of shots of lovers lane
IMG_6286.JPG
IMG_6287.JPG

Pienza for sure. We have been visiting it every year, and it is truly one of our favorites. There is a little Osteria which also has outside dining down a small alleyway across from the Cathedral. The owner can be a bit gruff, but his bean soup, among other great dishes is to die for. Just don't ask for pizza or pasta. He will lose his mind. We have become good friends with him, so he is always happy to see us.

We stay at the spa in Bagno Vignoni to break our drive from Rome to Lucca. Aside from the spa, you can enjoy some nice views and a couple nice eateries, but it is not a place to spend an excursion.

We love Pienza but Bagno Vignoni is very interesting. Several nice places to eat all around the big pond. I have the movie staring Harvey Kettle and Joshua Jackson,,,,Shadows In The Sun, where the two have a fight in the pond at the bottom of the cliff, which is really fun. The water is Medicinal, which cures many things. I'm sure there is a better way to explain it, but the water is a beautiful color, as are the stone rocks around it. A very different town, and just fun to visit.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina