• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Planning for 8 Nights in Arizona

devarae

100+ Posts
HI folks! Thanks to those who helped advise on a destination in my other thread. We have committed to Arizona! It's not going to be a particularly SLOW trip, but right now 8 nights is all we could manage with our schedules. We will be there Nov 5-13.

We will fly into Phoenix and spend two nights in Scottsdale (AirBnB near the Old Town) where we hope to visit Taliesin West (https://franklloydwright.org/taliesin-west/) and the Desert Botanical Garden (https://dbg.org/) and just decompress a bit.

Then we will drive (rental car) to the Grand Canyon South Rim for two nights, staying inside the park at Maswik Lodge. It sounds like it might be chillier up there but hopefully it will also mean the park is slightly less crowded. I will do some solo hiking in the mornings while my husband sleeps in :) and in the afternoons we will drive or shuttle to scenic overlooks. Or maybe take one of the small jeep tours to get to some more remote locations.

Our last four nights will be in Sedona, staying at an AirBnB in the uptown area. Once again I will probably do solo hikes in the morning, and we will do some easier hiking together in the afternoons. Maybe take a Pink Jeep tour and/or drive to Jerome. I would love to do some stargazing too, having read about Sedona being a Dark Sky community.

Then we fly out of Phoenix back home!

If anyone has suggestions for favorite hikes or restaurants in the region, or best driving routes from Phoenix/Scottsdale to Grand Canyon South Rim or GCSR to Sedona I'd welcome them!

We are also going out west but in October flying to Tucson and flying home from Grand Junction, Colorado. We hope to visit Sedona, the Grand Canyon, Zion National Park, Canyonlands and Arches National Park. We live in Kentucky and have never seen any of those. Can't wait!

We are also going out west but in October flying to Tucson and flying home from Grand Junction, Colorado. We hope to visit Sedona, the Grand Canyon, Zion National Park, Canyonlands and Arches National Park. We live in Kentucky and have never seen any of those. Can't wait!
That sounds like a wonderful trip! I look forward to hearing about it here-- especially if you do get to Sedona and the GC!

I'm getting excited planning our own trip-- so grateful I can do trip research again after the last year of no travel.

It has been quite some time since I visited the beautiful state of Arizona. However, whenever I was in Sedona, I would stop at the Visitor Center at 331 Forest Road. The staff were always very helpful in providing information on suitable hiking trails, restaurants and local events. They also gave advice on driving to and from nearby destinations as well as the Grand Canyon.

Devarae, you have a great Arizona vacation plan listed. The red buttes in Sedona are beautiful along with the Grand Canyon. Keep in mind that northern Arizona could possible have snow in November, so watch the 10 day weather forecast before you go.

My wife has a lot of relative in the Phoenix and the Tucson area. In fact I stored my travel trailer in Tucson last winter so we could use it for a winter getaway.

With a future trip to Arizona you may want to explore the southern half of the state. Organ Pipe National Monument, Bisbee, Tombstone are interesting places to visit.

Have fun!

Thank you aap519! I really hope this is the first of several trips as there is so much in the southwest US that I would love to see!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina