• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Recommendations for Camargue

veronicafrance

100+ Posts
Hi all

We're going to Arles for the Rencontres photo exhibition in a couple of weeks, and planning to visit the Camargue for the day on the way back. Despite living in France for 20 years, I have never been! Can anyone recommend good places to see horses, bulls, birds, and also a nice rustic lunch spot by the water?

Hello Veronica:

We had a pleasant afternoon wandering the trails in a park just off the D570 close to Stes. Marie de la Mer. It was early spring yet there were many birds around. Flamingos were in abundance. There were lots of observation platforms.

As for bulls and horses, we just pulled to the side of the road when we saw a herd of either. From previous posts I'm aware of the extensive research you do but just in case: https://www.tourismegard.com/ provides information on bull festivals and manades open to visitors.

Dennis

Yes, that's it. Regarding viewing horses, we took some of the smaller dirt roads. They were dry but could be difficult to drive on during/after a rain.

It doesn't meet your criteria, but if you find yourself in Stes. Maries and wanting an informal meal we found the plat du jour at Brasserie des Arenes across from the bull ring good value. They were very polite in enduring my high school French! It is a seaside tourist town so there are not many bargains to be found even in off-season.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina