• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Recommendations for Val d’Orcia accommodations

Mom83

100+ Posts
My husband and I are taking his recently widowed sister to Italy next Spring...3/28-4/12. We know where we are staying the first week in the Chianti region near San Gusme...a villa that we have stayed in twice before. We stayed at Terre di Nano in monticchiello the last time we visited the Val d’Orcia. It was very nice and we may return there, but I am looking for other suggestions. We would like a 3 bedroom/3 bath...our adult son may join us. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Price is not an issue. Thanks!

Not quite Val D'Orcia
Only 2 baths, but it is the entire house with stunning views of Montepulciano.

Not quite Val D'Orcia
Only 2 baths, but it is the entire house with stunning views of Montepulciano.
It looks really nice...have you stayed there before? It looks to me to be in the Val d’Orcia...why do you say it is not?

I did, stayed there for 5 nights. Great base for day tripping to Pienza, Cortona, Montalcino, Monticchiello, Montisa.
My bad, I thought the town was not technically part of Val D'Orcia.

I did, stayed there for 5 nights. Great base for day tripping to Pienza, Cortona, Montalcino, Monticchiello, Montisa.
It may not be, but it certainly is close enough if it is not.
I contacted them for dates...waiting for reply.
Thanks, again!

Hi Mark. I heard back from Villa Mazzi and they do have availability for our time period. The nightly rate was reasonable, but they added this...”central heating (euro 2,00 per hour, calculation based on consumption)”.
We have rented many properties all through Europe during the past 20 years, but have never rented one with a supplemental heating charge. Do you, or anyone else, know if 2 euro per hour is a reasonable charge? Or what it might amount to...approximately...for one week the end of March/early April?
Thanks!

Well if the heat is on 24 hours a day that would be 48 euros per day.
Here are the average temps for march and April.
March 55° / 44°
April 62° / 49°
So I would think you would not be paying the full 48 euros

Well if the heat is on 24 hours a day that would be 48 euros per day.
Here are the average temps for march and April.
March 55° / 44°
April 62° / 49°
So I would think you would not be paying the full 48 euros
Yes...we were in Tuscany the same time period last year...temps were upper 50’s/low 60’s during the day...chilly at night, so I knew we would have to use the heat. I will just add 48 euro on to the nightly rate to estimate the cost for the week. We had just never encountered this before, although I know supplemental heating charges are not uncommon. We have always rented places where the heat was included.
Thanks so much...you have been most helpful!

Have you looked into Sant'Antonio, outside Montepulciano? I know it doesn't exactly fit what you are looking for, www.santantonio.it It has a large property with pool, and hiking trails. I don't believe they have a three bedroom, but we once stayed in a wonderful two bedroom, each with an ensuite bathroom. No better innkeeper than Nico. We are so addicted to this property, we return every year.

Last edited:
Have you looked into Sant'Antonio, outside Montepulciano? I know it doesn't exactly fit what you are looking for, www.santantonio.it It has a large property with pool, and hiking trails. I don't believe they have a three bedroom, but we once stayed in a wonderful two bedroom, each with an ensuite bathroom. No better innkeeper than Nico. We are so addicted to this property, we return every year.
Yes...I did contact Sant’Antonio thanks to your reviews of it here on this forum. Still waiting to hear back from them.
Thanks!

Well, I finally made a decision. Sadly, I never heard back from Sant’Antonio. Villa Mazzi was very responsive, but we ultimately decided to rent an apartment on the grounds of La Foce for our second week. I read Iris Origa’s book, War in the Val d’Orcia, when I attended college in Florence years ago and we visited the gardens for a tour in 2011. The only negative...it is pricey, but the villa near San Gusme is very reasonable, so it all averages out.
Has anyone on this forum stayed at La Foce before?

Sadly, I may have given you the wrong contact info for Nico. It is info@santantonio.it I immediately wrote to him and asked if he had received anything from you. I know how efficient he is, and it just didn't sound like him. He wrote back and said he went through all of his mail, and didn't see anything that looked like it might have been you. I'm so sorry, as I know you would have loved it there.

Sharon

Sadly, I may have given you the wrong contact info for Nico. It is info@santantonio.it I immediately wrote to him and asked if he had received anything from you. I know how efficient he is, and it just didn't sound like him. He wrote back and said he went through all of his mail, and didn't see anything that looked like it might have been you. I'm so sorry, as I know you would have loved it there.

Sharon
Hmmm, Sharon...I am not sure what email address I used...I thought I used the one that was on their website. I thought it was odd that I never heard back from Sant’Antonio since it is so highly regarded. If we had not found availability at La Foce, I would have kept trying to get in touch with Nico.
But, it is not a problem. We are excited about staying at La Foce this time. We can try Sant’Antonio next visit!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina