• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Refund I got from Alitalia

PokeyMindy

100+ Posts
My (long) story about a refund I received from Alitalia ️✈️
In Sept. my flight from Boston-Rome was delayed by a little over 2 hours. Because of this my travel buddies and I missed our connecting flight to Palermo. It was a pain in the butt finding the "transfer desk" we needed in order to get booked on the next flight to Palermo. A HUGE line but we finally got our boarding passes along with a voucher for a sandwich and non-alcoholic beverage. (if ever alcohol was needed it was then). We arrived in Palermo along with our luggage 4.15 hours after we were scheduled to arrive. A travel savvy friend told me about an EU Regulation EC 261 which basically says if you arrive more than 3 hours after your scheduled time you MAY be eligible for monetary compensation.
Well, the day after I got home, Sept. 23rd, I did some research. On the Alitalia website I found where to file a "missed connection" complaint and did so. After almost 2 months, today I received a check for $689.00!! ‍♀️The most you can get is €600,00 so with the exchange rate at the time of my claim it came to that amount. I dreaded flying Alitalia at the time but I must say that I am very impressed with how they handled my claim. I doubt that many know about this rule; I sure didn't. I am very thankful to my friend Sharon Johnson for telling me about the EU rule. (To think I almost settled for a sandwich and a bottle of water). Also, my 4 travel companions are getting a €600,00 compensation as well. (they filed after they heard I was getting a refund....they owe me dinner and drinks, ). My other option was an E-ticket for €700,00 that I could use on any Alitalia flight within 1 year.
Thank you for your patience if you've ready through this entire post!! Cheers!! The money will go towards my next European adventure!!

When my flight to London on Norwegian was cancelled due to a snowstorm I had requested a refund. Within 24 hours a credit was pending on my card. I always try to fly a European airline when flying to Europe. In case anything goes wrong there is likelihood I will be compensated. Only if U.S. laws were like this.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina