• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Help Needed Rental car insurance-bodily injury/death

Rome Addict

100+ Posts
Looking at rental car insurance. As anyone who has rented a car in the past couple of years knows the collision damage waiver can literally be more expensive than the actual rental. Right now my rental is $8 per day and if I buy Budget plan the insurance is an additional $11/day.

Okaaaayyy...then I read the "fine print". It only covers the vehicle!!! Not the occupants or should I get in an accident (God forbid) anyone else who would be injured.

I then went shopping for another policy. There are other "rental" only policies but they are all the same. Vehicle only no injury coverage.

Since I no longer have a car or insurance I can't add rental coverage to my existing policy.

How does this work in the UK? Are there lawsuits? Or does it work like no fault in the states? You are responsible for your vehicle/injuries other party responsible for theirs.?

Does anyone know of an option?

Looking at rental car insurance.
It only covers the vehicle!!! Not the occupants or should I get in an accident (God forbid) anyone else who would be injured.
I then went shopping for another policy. There are other "rental" only policies but they are all the same. Vehicle only no injury coverage.

I haven't encountered this on our car rentals - there is usually automatic and mandatory third party liability insurance, which includes bodily damage to third parties (occupants of your car are "third party"). We rented through Europcar last year, and you can see the insurance policies here (this was in Italy) :
https://www.europcar.com/terms-and-conditions/insurances-and-protection

The rules about required insurance are different in the UK and Italy. I've been doing some research too on this as we're going both places this fall. It may be worth your while to get a new credit card just for the additional coverage.

This past May we rented an auto in Ireland for 10 days. We always use Auto Europe for best rates and answers to questions. They booked us through Hertz with what seemed a very reasonable Zero deductible rate. It included the super CDW ...tires....glass and just about everything. For personal injury we had a separate medical travel policy.

It isn't really clear what you are looking at and referring to Rome Addict.

CDW is only about the coverage of the rented vehicle. It does not and is not supposed to provide any coverage for liability. ie. injury to you or a third party.

For liabiity coverage, you need liability insurance which is a separate part of car insurance (rental or not) as well as several other areas of cover. Here is a simple description that covers them all. It seems to be aimed at rentals within the USA but the basic areas of coverage are universal.
https://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/travel/rental-cars/rental-car-insurance-explained.htm

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina