• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Restaurant recommendations

Django

10+ Posts
Hello folks,

Looking for some good recommendations for restaurants in Florence and in Val d'Orcia (I'll be doing a long day trip there!). Please, please, not the big touristy restaurants. Looking for good authentic Florentine and Tuscan cuisine. We'll probably be doing a day trip to Bologna as well so if you have a can't miss restaurant there please don't hesitate to let me know!

I can give you 3 excellent restaurants, but two are in Florence and one is in Fiesole so there are going to be tourists there. If no one else responds I can give you their names. Two weeks ago we took 8 friends to one of them and they liked it so much we went back 3 days later. However, I'm sure there were many Americans there. On the other hand our middle aged guide for the Uffizi who is born and raised in Florence said she eats there regularly.

Hi NoSpin- Great! Let me know what you think. We'll be in Florence for a few days- as long as the food is very good, I'm not opposed to sharing space with tourists. it goes with the territory in Florence!

We have dined at La Giostra 3 times and all have been excellent experiences. We would have dined 4 times, but the first time there we foolishly showed up without reservations. Probably a little less occupied with tourists is Rooster.

Probably the restaurant with the fewest locals is La Loggia in the Villa San Michele (not to be confused with the one at Piazzale Michelangelo). We've been there 3 times and the food, service and atmosphere are spectacular. Dining there at sunset is magical. Even if you have a car, I recommend you take a taxi there.

For more local places with fewer tourists, I recommend Fred Plotkin's book Italy for the Gourmet Traveler. We have found several gems throughout Italy based on his recommendations.

We have dined at La Giostra 3 times and all have been excellent experiences. We would have dined 4 times, but the first time there we foolishly showed up without reservations. Probably a little less occupied with tourists is Rooster.

Probably the restaurant with the fewest locals is La Loggia in the Villa San Michele (not to be confused with the one at Piazzale Michelangelo). We've been there 3 times and the food, service and atmosphere are spectacular. Dining there at sunset is magical. Even if you have a car, I recommend you take a taxi there.

For more local places with fewer tourists, I recommend Fred Plotkin's book Italy for the Gourmet Traveler. We have found several gems throughout Italy based on his recommendations.

Paul- this is so great! I will definitely look at these restaurants. Looked at the reviews for La Giostra and it's all positive. I'll try to get a reservation tomorrow if I can!

In Florence, we love Sostanza, but it is very popular. We prefer it for lunch instead of dinner, which is less crowded. Another favorite lunch spot is Da Sergio--for some reason, it doesn't get the crowds like nearby Mario, and the location can't be beat (lunch only). Other favorites: Alla Vecchia Bettola, Cammillo, and Ruggero.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina