• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Romanesque architecture, northern Catalonia

Lindie

10+ Posts
We will be in Barcelona or Girona at the end of May and would like to see the Romanesque architecture in some of the tiny towns with no public transportation. We will not have a car. There is a tour that requires a minimum of 8 people (we are only 3) and I know that I can arrange for a private multi-day tour, including hotels etc. Does anyone know of any other options? The day trips I see from Barcelona take you to a medieval village for a lunch and a walk. Ideally, I'd like to find something more focused on architecture and going more than one place.

Lindie, I can recommend a wonderful tour guide (recommended by Shannon) who we used in Girona. I'll bet she could put together a day for you. She is extremely well versed in the history of the area and is definitely someone who I could see spending a full day with. I will send you her name and contact info through ST message.

BTW, we went to Besalu and booked a tour through the tourist office to get into the Romanesque churches and the 12th century Mikvah. We also went to the Monestir de Santa Maria en Ripol for the stunning 12th century portal of the Abbey and its cloister.

Amy, this is very helpful...I'm interested in all those things! Would you recommend a base of Girona for visiting Besalu and Ripol? Or Vic? Maybe stay in Besalu itself? Or should I take the bus from Barcelona to visit Besalu? We will have five days in Barcelona, and 4 days in some other place, possibly 3 nights in some place like Vic or Besalu, with the last night in Girona since our flight home leaves at 4pm from Barcelona and I understand I could easily get a train from Girona to Barcelona the day of departure.

Besalu is extremely small, although it does have some lovely restaurants as well as seasonal galleries. I could see it being very evocative at night. We loved Girona, it would be a super base for a few days. It is lively and bustling with a lot to see just in the city itself (it is really more of a large town, by my standards.) I would recommend renting a car if you can. We found the driving not too stressful, except for finding parking at times. And that could have been managed better with more planning on my part! There does seem to be bus service from Girona--Teisa Bus Schedules

Besalu Tourist Office I emailed them in English, and they got back to me immediately, and arranged for a guide to take us around.

Abbey at Ripoll and it’s cloister, and view of Besalú

Attachments

• FDF9519D-0173-43A6-9D14-F403249086C5.jpeg
    FDF9519D-0173-43A6-9D14-F403249086C5.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 9CB888D5-A587-4C7B-9CE0-9DDE2A45403D.jpeg
    9CB888D5-A587-4C7B-9CE0-9DDE2A45403D.jpeg
    157.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 2B43E829-10EF-4394-9E5A-B33248D491DB.jpeg
    2B43E829-10EF-4394-9E5A-B33248D491DB.jpeg
    102.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina