• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

South Africa Safari

I guess I should explain, that was from an old Marx Brothers movie.

1678295270784.png

I've sent a PM to @GDB , asking some specific questions, but for now I want to thank @Penn251 for the perfect idea of breaking up the trip into segments. I don't know if there's one airport that's used for people taking a safari - I realize it might depend on the country, but not every country in Africa has a large international airport, so the choices are limited to begin with. Anyway, just to get an idea of a flight from Tampa to Johannesburg, and it would take a MINIMUM of 18 hours. So -a week in Amsterdam, or another city with a direct flight to your final destination in Africa sounds like the perfect thing to do! If we could do an open jaws flight and stay in a different city on the way home that's the cherry on top!

I am a great Groucho Marx fan myself. Unfortunately that particular humour is lost on me now.
Having just witnessed a mother elephant carrying her dead child very close to us. I don't think it had been shot, but it was still heart rending.
Don't worry, I really do like Groucho !

I've sent a PM to @GDB , asking some specific questions, but for now I want to thank @Penn251 for the perfect idea of breaking up the trip into segments. I don't know if there's one airport that's used for people taking a safari - I realize it might depend on the country, but not every country in Africa has a large international airport, so the choices are limited to begin with. Anyway, just to get an idea of a flight from Tampa to Johannesburg, and it would take a MINIMUM of 18 hours. So -a week in Amsterdam, or another city with a direct flight to your final destination in Africa sounds like the perfect thing to do! If we could do an open jaws flight and stay in a different city on the way home that's the cherry on top!
I think I have replied, but just in case.... it would be good to give you personal info, so I gave you my email address. If you do not get it, please send me another message.

Whilst Africa is on most peoples' agenda it is not for everyone, so I do understand artnbarb.
Wildlife holidays or safaris mean a lot of travelling and expense. There are no 'Tui' type deals in the safari world. However if you do want to see wildlife and maybe mix it with history and culture, India would be hard to beat, and it is a lot cheaper than Africa generally. Central India is the best for seeing tigers, but there is so much more including the Taj Mahal and a myriad of wonderful towns, palaces and places of interest. Also with the wildlife, if you are willing to travel around a bit, there are many other animals, including wolves, foxes, leopards, sloth bears, Asiatic lions and newly re-introduced cheetahs.
Plus there is a huge variety of birds.
I can point you in the right direction having been there many times.
20221208_9215 (3)c.jpg

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina