• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

San Lorenzo Market Stalls...a thing of the past in Florence?

PokeyMindy

100+ Posts
http://www.theflorentine.net/articl...tocId=9052&browse-by=News&level=Florence-News

I stumbled upon this article tonight. I don't know how I feel about this! It's one of the things I love to do in Florence; wander through the stalls. I know a lot of the items are not made in Italy, but it's still fun and I know you can find "the real deal" from many of the sellers. I wonder if this will be permanent? Many of the leather purses, coats, etc have their shops behind the stalls as well. Your thoughts?

Are they moving ALL the stalls, or just some? And I'm confused about the having a "better view for the basilica" - are the talking about the ugly, unfinished exterior of San Lorenzo? I've never found it to be particularly attractive, or is that just me?

Hello Mindy,
I suspect that even if stalls are forced to move off a section of the street so an electric bus can wiggle through, the stall owners will regroup and find other places to set up….I have no doubt they will survive, maybe just in a different configuration! The resiliency of people who own similar stalls here in Rome amazes me.

Judy (Diva Cucina) thinks they are only moved from right in front of the church but that most of the stalls are still there! Let's hope so :rolleyes:

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina