• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Scandinavia?

Callie

10+ Posts
We're considering a trip to Scandinavia next year. Neither of us have been so we're pretty uninformed so far. I've begun some basic research and think I'd like to go to Copenhagen and Oslo. Stockholm isn't calling to me yet and I haven't found smaller towns in either Norway or Sweden that appeal.

Any suggestions about smaller cities in Norway and Sweden, or any thoughts about Stockholm?

Thanks

Stockholm is very charming, with plenty of history / historic architecture, plus plenty of water all around and a couple of nice ferry trips.

Like the whole of Scandinavia, it can be pricey, but it's not the worst for this

It might help to know what time of year appeals and whether you'd like rural, coastal or towns and cities (or maybe a mix). We still fondly remember some lovely woodland about 45 mins drive north of Morby (where we were staying), which in early October was covered with mushrooms, including winter chanterelles, porcini, plus a few other edible varieties and lots more besides.

I could imagine exploring the regional cuisine might make for plenty of interest - perhaps joining the Finnish Cloudberry hunting: cloudberries

Regards
Ian

Ian, we usually travel for about 2 - 3 weeks in March, April, May, depending on where we're headed. We like cities more than the countryside, but smaller towns are fine. Our interests are more around how people live and we get a huge kick out of grocery stores and markets, hardware stores, libraries, local customs, etc. A friendly bar/restaurant is always a plus. We love the coast - a nice town on the coast would be ideal. But we live two blocks from the Atlantic Ocean, so it's not a requirement by any means.

I'd love to taste a cloudberry - never heard of them. They look a bit like a small raspberry; perhaps they are related?

We've been warned about the cost of Scandinavia - one of the first things anyone who's been there tells us. We'd like to rent an apartment for a week (plus or minus) in 3 places and take day trips if we can figure that out. I think we'd fly into Oslo and out of Copenhagen, or some variation of that.

Thanks for any suggestions - we are floundering more than usual.
Callie

Hi Callie
If you're lucky then you might find some Cloudberry jam - though that close to the new season, it might be a challenge. I remember that year of the shortage, the shop I'd got it from said they were allocated two jars in total!

With 2-3 weeks I rather like the idea of getting a balance of a city or two, plus an equal amount of time in countryside &/or coast (maybe a fishing village?).

One thought... Have a look for festivals at that time of year. Such things might get you a good dose of the local customs / culture, and personally the smaller, more local and low-key the better (I don't think we're people people when it comes to large crowds).

The other thing that can help anchor start or finish, is where the best flight options are. Sometimes one flight option is so much better that it's worth planning around that and seeking options in easy range of the airport. So worth pricing the flights up & ensure the timings fit well for you. I like the in/out of different airports option.

Looking at the map, I'm wondering whether something as simplistic as Oslo - Gothenberg - Copenhagen might be an option, though not necessarily staying in the cities, just using them for easy route planning. It gives you three countries but without excessive hassle.

Regards
Ian

Have you thought about Bergan? It is easily reached by train from Oslo and is a stunning line. Began is a very attractive Hanseatic city with an excellent fish market. take the funicular to the top of Floyen for some easy walking.

There is also Norway in a Nutshell which is one of the 'must do' trips taking you to Flam and the Flam railway - a fantastic trip.

March and April might be a bit early in the year and there could well still be snow around. May would be better. The days are getting longer and warmer. Spring comes very quickly then.

Ian and Eleanor, many thanks.

I've looked at Bergan and will look again. And I've never looked at Gothenberg.

We live in Maine, so a bit of snow is really not a problem. We like March and April travel because typically there are fewer tourist, airfares are lower and rentals can be easier to find and less expensive. But I will check the weather. We planned an early trip this year to London and Edinburgh because of apartment rentals, airfares, etc. and got delayed by the "Beast from the East." When we finally got to London, we couldn't even get to Scotland.

Ending this past October, i was living in Stockholm part time for the previous two years. We traveled extensively through the area: throughout Sweden (including north of the Artic Circle), Helsinki, north central Finland near Savolina, the fjords of Norway, Bergen, Oslo, Iceland, as well as Riga and Tallinn.

I will say, that I found Oslo to be the most boring capital of all of the above. Don't get me wrong it was pretty, it was on the water, and the viking museums were amazing. But it just didn't do it for me. I just felt that the other places I mentioned were more worthwhile.

Look into Bergen and the nearby Fjords in Norway! So incredibly beautiful!!!

In Sweden, Stockholm is just amazing! I am so upset that we are no longer living there and wish I was still there!!! Gothenburg was also a great city. Small little towns/islands north of there that we liked inlcuded Smogen and Marstrand. We also spent some time on the lakes of Vanern and Vattren. We drove all around and hit some really cool towns.

If you are thinking about doing march, you can also take a cheap flight north of the Arctic Circle. We got round trip flights from Stockholm to Kiruna for under 100 per person. Kiruna is nothing special. With the exception of one fact and two sites. Fact: they are currently moving the entire city to a new location (including many of the historic buildings) Site 1: the ice hotel is interesting! Site 2: The Sami village to see and learn about the Sami people and how they lived.

We went for a long weekend somewhere around the 11th or so of March. We did not stay in Kiruna, but the town of Abisko and hour's drive from there. When I say small town, it doesn't get much smaller than this!!! We went out at night to see the northern lights, we went dog-sledding, etc. It was just a magical time. If you want, let me know and I will look up the place we stayed and post it here.

If you plan to go from Mid-September to the March, you can check out the Rovaniemi - there you can spot the Northern Lights - once in a lifetime experience.

Tony, thank you for the suggestions. Can't wait to have a little time to study up on all of these towns. Stockholm is starting to sound better snd better as well.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina