• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Scottish Independence Debate on BBC Tonight

Pauline

Forums Admin
The Scotland Referendum, where Scots vote whether or not to stay in the UK, takes place in a few weeks - on September 18. Tonight is the second and final debate on the topic.

We will be in France when the vote happens, but I will be glued to the news. In 2013, pollster Nate Silver said there was no chance that Scotland would vote yes. The latest article that I read still has the NOs winning, but not by a large margin.

One profound effect on England would be that it would be much harder to get a Labour government elected, since all of Scotland's MPs, except one, are Labour. From the Financial Times - "Labour would need nearly a quarter of a million extra votes to win a majority at the next election if Scotland becomes independent, according to new calculations."

The Guardian has a good overview of the Scottish Independence vote.

(Yes, I am breaking my own rule about "no politics".)

Just catching up with this thread. We were in Scotland for the week and a half leading up to the vote. It was a time just full of buzz, and quite exciting. We definitely felt wrapped in it. It was the ONLY thing on the news. Everywhere we went, city or countryside, were signs of "YES please" or "NO thanks." In Edinburgh and especially Glasgow, the YES-es seemed to be in the overwhelming majority. But maybe they were just louder. The streets of Glasgow felt like a trip back to the '60s, with rock bands, stickers, banners, and lots of politics, banter, and gatherings in the streets, parks, coffeehouses, windows, everywhere to vote YES.

I too wanted to see an independent Scotland, but I don't know enough about the economics of such a move and how the country would have fared. Ultimately, I guess, things will never be the same again, and that's part of history now, and the future. I admire the peacefulness of the process, the democracy in action, and the amount of patriotism and national pride that the Scots all feel, no matter which side of the equation they fell.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina