• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Sicily questions

Red Red Wine

10+ Posts
Opinions on Caltagirone versus Enna?
Which would you recomened more?
And Catania versus Taormina? Any reasons to stay in Catania intend of Taormina?

Thanks!

We loved staying in Taormina for several days in 2005. Since cars are restricted from most areas, it was great for walking, especially fun during the Passageata. The Greek/Roman amphitheater was neat to explore, and they had music performances there. We enjoyed the public garden; lovely specimens and fabulous view down to the sea. I haven’t been to Catania, so can’t compare.

Taormina will be more tourist friendly, Catania more real (and at times gritty) city. Catania has the advantage of the airport, so easy in & out.

FWIW we found Catania a little intimidating, but then Napoli has the same effect on us. It doesn't help that the local stone gives it an imposing feel.

Taormina will be more tourist friendly, Catania more real (and at times gritty) city. Catania has the advantage of the airport, so easy in & out.

FWIW we found Catania a little intimidating, but then Napoli has the same effect on us. It doesn't help that the local stone gives it an imposing feel.

yes, I have been to Taormina and it's got great natural beauty and is more peaceful than Catania. I am organizing a trip for someone who surprised me with a question about considering not doing Taormina at all and replacing it with Catania. This honestly would not have occurred to me. Catania has some worth historic sites but I am such a sucker for stunning natural beauty.

Friends of mine (who are good travelers) from Santa Fe loved Taormina. It is on my list. We skipped it and went to Siracusa (stayed on Ortigia) instead, but only for a night as we were heading to Scicli.

Friends of mine (who are good travelers) from Santa Fe loved Taormina. It is on my list. We skipped it and went to Siracusa (stayed on Ortigia) instead, but only for a night as we were heading to Scicli.

I wonder if I know your friends from Santa Fe. Remember you and talked about how I was there for almost 2 years... before or after you... I don't recall which! I did both Taormina and Ortigia, (both great!) although some aspects of Taormina can be kitschy. These clients whose itinerary I am working on will be in Ortigia for 3 nights before heading to Taormina. At this point I am recommending Taormina over Catania. As I said, their question about it sort of surprised me and I thought I'd see if anyone piped up with a strong reason to support Catania or Taormina but I kind of doubt that will happen!

Enna's main attraction is the fortress on the upper town ridge. Caltigirone's are the ceramics. La Scala/Santa Maria del Monte. Both are easily accessible by car and available parking. Caltigirone does close down during riposo so a visit timed first thing in the morning or later in the day works best. Enna is situated toward the middle of Sicily off of A19. Caltigirone is closer to Catania (the eastern side).

I would choose Taormina over Catania as a place to stay, particularly if you have a rental car. Driving and parking in Catania is next to impossible. Use of public transportation from Catania, a much better idea. Catania does have some very interesting sites, unfortunately a couple are located in slightly sketchy areas and visiting should be done with some vigilance.

Not at all related to the query, but our Italian tutor brought a very interesting cheese back from Sicily. Bought at the local market and shrink-wrapped there, it's called Tuma, and is Pecorino from the early (curd) stage of the process. Texturally, a little former than mozzarella, but still holds/gives off a little water. Most interesting was the flavour, light and with a hint of fresh fruitiness. Should be great in salads, but also for a more refreshing cheese, perhaps good as a supper cheese?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuma_(cheese)

watching with interest as I need a couple of nights in either Taormina or CAtania this coming July. My friend who is a local of Catania also told me that now there is reliable public transport between Taormina and Catania... so FWIW... stay in Taormina and visit Catania if you want to.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina