• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Six meals in Venice!

Colleen

10+ Posts
I'll be in Venice for three days and nights in mid-May and need lunch and dinner suggestions!

I want to go back to Ostaria Galileo for another modern take on Venetian cuisine, Casin dei Nobili is a must, along with Harry's and the Danieli rooftop bar for prosecchi ... but that leaves a few meals unaccounted for. :)

In 2012 Shannon and I were disappointed that al Garanghelo had changed hands and lost its character and good quality. Where have you eaten recently that you can recommend?

Thanks!

Marco and I always discuss our destination for "A Most Excellent Lunch". Our absolute, go-to favorite, is Vini da Gigio. A wine list to swoon over, although the house wine is wonderful. They always have special offerings every day, this last trip, we could always get cape lunghe, moeche, granseola, etc. They do a superb job with grilled fish and will not rip you off. We also love Antiche Carampane.

Also, what about La Zucca Colleen? Lots of vegetarian offerings there, and in such a pretty neighborhood!

Thanks, Susie! I haven't been to Vini da Gigio but have only heard good things. I like La Zucca, but it doesn't really call me back like other places. Once Joan sees this thread I'm sure she'll have some opinions to share, too!

Our best meal after 4 visits in Venice has been at Ai Gonodoleri. It is located behind the Guggenheim museum, a rustic establishment with a lot of wood paneling on the walls (not as fancy as their menu or prices would indicate), which offers an imaginative menu, linked to classical Venetian tradition. We had an amazing lunch (NOT inexpensive) there and will be back when we visit in June.

I'll be watching this thread and probably asking the same question in a few months. We'll have one afternoon and evening in Venice as an end to our 5 week stay this summer at the end of July. Thank Colleen for asking the question, and I'm sorry our paths won't cross.

:D Great question Colleen! I'll be in Venice for 3 days as well although in October. I'll also be keeping an eye on this thread. Susie, Vini da Gigio is on my list thanks to you and Marco! I am renting in apartment in the San Polo sestiere. Thanks again for the great question!!

Funny, I woke up this morning thinking about pizza (!) and had the same thought about Casa Mia!
I forgot about our bad meal at Casin dei Nobili (undercooked pasta passed off as "al dente" - seriously?) and only remembered the multitude of good meals over the years. They made great pizza, amazing salads and were one of the few places I found that served olive ascolane. It gets moved to the "Maybe" list!

Thanks for the other ideas, SE'ers! ;-)

Hi Colleen. Paul and I were also disappointed with our last meal at Al Garanghelo and found out afterward that it had changed hands. Along with Vini da Gigio, I'd recommend both Da Alberto and L'Anice Stellato, also in Cannaregio. The latter is a small, family-run trattoria with an amazing fritto misto, and both are a bit less expensive that Vini da Gigio. If I could have only one meal in Venice, though, it would probably be at Antiche Carampane, near San Polo.

Oh yes, that seafood platter at La Cantina is spectacular! And their salads and salume are great, too. As you know, I'm a great fan of da Alberto - we went there on our last visit (over a year ago now :(), and it was still lovely. And yes, another enthusiastic vote for Anice Stellato: super seafood & interesting flavourings.

Colleen, I seem to recall you being a big fan of Corte Sconta? We haven't been there lately, but we have heard through reliable sources that it is still well regarded.

Jerr mentioned Ai Gondolieri, which we also like. They do not serve fish however, just an FYI. But they have antipasti and primi dishes suitable for vegetarians.

Shannon, yes! It was the ginger clams I recall Colleen liking so much at Corte Sconta.

Regarding Alla Staffa, the last time we ate there was January 2013, so not much more recently than you. We really liked it, and I remember I had ravioli stuffed with radicchio and Asiago with a sauce made of pumpkin and a few pink peppercorns. Delicious! I believe the menu changes quite often. I bet B.j. has eaten there fairly recently.

'Casa Mia' -I know what you mean about feeling like home there Shannon. When Paul and I returned to Venice it was the first stop we made. We had eaten there often on previous trips that it was a happy spot to return.

This is a great thread and will come in handy in June. :)

I'll be in Venice for three days and nights in mid-May and need lunch and dinner suggestions!

I want to go back to Ostaria Galileo for another modern take on Venetian cuisine, Casin dei Nobili is a must, along with Harry's and the Danieli rooftop bar for prosecchi ... but that leaves a few meals unaccounted for. :)

In 2012 Shannon and I were disappointed that al Garanghelo had changed hands and lost its character and good quality. Where have you eaten recently that you can recommend?

Thanks!

Bar Foscarini, at the foot of the Accademia bridge, has a wonderful view up the canal toward the Bacino. In nice weather we go there twice a week for lunch, just to enjoy the view -- the pizzas are good and the house wine is too. Angle for a table near the canal.
A famous tradition is Madonna -- often mentioned as the masters of fish ( the veal chops are good, too). Noisy, busy, often a queue. More thana few locals eat lunch there every day. We eat there often and have celebrated our anniversary there for almost as many years as it has been open, thirty plus years ( for them).
Al Paradiso, on the Calle Paradiso in, San Polo. (Ironically, the owner used to live upstairs from us on the Calle Paradiso in Castello). Our favorite "special" place -- some of the best dishes in town. Reserve for dinner.
And don't miss, in nice weather, Nico's, on the Zattere. Gelato and gelato concoctions and a wonderful outdoor deck over the Giudecca canal. Be careful -- we know three couples who have gotten engaged there -- one couple 53 years ago.

Bar Foscarini, at the foot of the Accademia bridge, has a wonderful view up the canal toward the Bacino. In nice weather we go there twice a week for lunch, just to enjoy the view -- the pizzas are good and the house wine is too. Angle for a table near the canal.
A famous tradition is Madonna -- often mentioned as the masters of fish ( the veal chops are good, too). Noisy, busy, often a queue. More thana few locals eat lunch there every day. We eat there often and have celebrated our anniversary there for almost as many years as it has been open, thirty plus years ( for them).
Al Paradiso, on the Calle Paradiso in, San Polo. (Ironically, the owner used to live upstairs from us on the Calle Paradiso in Castello). Our favorite "special" place -- some of the best dishes in town. Reserve for dinner.
And don't miss, in nice weather, Nico's, on the Zattere. Gelato and gelato concoctions and a wonderful outdoor deck over the Giudecca canal. Be careful -- we know three couples who have gotten engaged there -- one couple 53 years ago.

I love the fish platter at La Cantina but it is pricey.
One place I really enjoyed is Al Timon--not far from the Jewish Ghetto on the Fondamenta Misercordia.
It's a simple (not fancy) place with a few canal side tables, a wine bar with a good selection of local wines by the glass and lots of crostini you can point at. We also ate off of the menu and I really loved the food. We were (on our 1 visit) the only English speakers in the place--so unusual for Venice in high season.

I agree with Fusillo; Nico's is great! I can't wait to go in October. I am "friends" with Maurizio who works there and I can't wait to see him again!! You can't beat the view!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina