• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Small Museums in Florence

Ann R

10+ Posts
Who has been to any of the small museums in Florence? Like Museo Horne? Since the Opera del' Duomo Museum is closed until late 2015, what are the options away from the crowds of the Uffizi and the Accademia?

Not exactly off the beaten track, but two that I love are the Bargello and the Ospedale degli Innocenti. I found both museums interesting historically and architecturally, and both contain some amazing works of art.

The Ospedale used to be an orphanage, and you can still see where infants could be dropped off in a basin on a rotating wheel (so they could be dropped off anonymously). Ghirlandaio's gorgeous Adoration of the Magi is perhaps the masterpiece of the Ospedale, but there is a graceful Botticelli also. I had the Ospedale almost entirely to myself one October afternoon a few years ago. It's very small, but I lingered for a long time over the Ghirlandaio, and also enjoyed watching some children playing in the larger of two cloisters. It lies along one side of Piazza Santissima Annunziata, so could be combined with a visit to the basilica SS Annunziata.

The Bargello is a former prison and (I think) military barracks. Michelangelo's Bacchus and Donatello's David are two of my favourite sculptures, both are housed in the Bargello. David was being restored on one of my visits a few years ago, and they were doing the restoration right in the museum, in a space closed off with plexiglass, so the public could observe. It was fascinating!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina