• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Snow in July in the Alps

Pauline

Forums Admin
Chris emailed to tell me about summer snow in the alps. Originally we had planned to go to Switzerland in July, but usually that is the best month there for hiking. We have been to Switzerland many times in July and have had great weather. In August sometimes we had storms with rain. In September, in Davos, we had snow once. But never snow in July!

The Local - Alps get summer snow as wet weather to stay 10 Jul 2014
Holidaymakers in the Alps in recent days would have been forgiven for thinking they had come in the wrong season after the region was hit by some very unseasonal snowfalls. There was bad news for sunseekers too with the sun set to stay away for much of July.

Fingers crossed for good weather in September.

The article is about the French Alps and bad weather across northern France, so I moved this from the Switzerland forum to the France one.

Pauline -

Yes, once again, one thing you can't plan on is the weather. Here it's mid July and guests are showing up at breakfast in sweaters ! Temps are actually very pleasant (mid 70s) and skies are stunningly blue but that's thanks to a nasty mistral which has been blowing for 3 days and just now is starting to let up.

Funnily enough, we have guests at the moment who had purposely asked about the heat when booking months ago being concerned about the lack of A/C. They couldn't be happier, having explained that they live in Houston and Florida, so this kind of weather is what they dream about.

Meanwhile, another guest who lives up around Forqualquier had been dreaming of a few days doing absolutely nothing around the pool - oops !

"Each to his own" and "it's all realitve" are two sayings that come to mind.

- Kevin

p.s.: meeting up with Jonathan soon for a hike if you want to join !

Yes, my landlady emailed yesterday: 'Pensez à prendre quelques vêtements chauds car le début d'été est plutôt frais, avec du vent. Le matin et le soir, il faut un pull ou une veste.' At the moment, early morning temperatures are higher here in Stroud than in the Luberon! Still, whatever the weather, it's Provence, and that's got to be good.

A très bientôt, Kevin!

On my smartphone, I have a weather app, and I like to keep an eye on the daily weather around the world, especially at places we've recently visited, or loved visiting. Last summer we stayed in the Dolomites, and had absolutely picture perfect weather for the week's duration (think sun and highs in the mid-70s/low 80s). The app tells me that this summer it's almost daily rain, highs rarely going above the 60s. Luck of the draw, I guess. Our trip two years ago to the Cotswolds in September was daily rain.

We're heading to Scotland this September, and a friend on the ground there tells me they're having their warmest summer in a long time. Hope that lasts!

Jonathan, enjoy Provence, whatever the weather.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina