• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Sorrento to Pompeii-How?

Elephant

Flying in and staying at Hilton Sorrento, to visit Pompeii and Herculaneum. But how to travel around? I’ve heard that the trains are easy/crowded/a den of theives(!!)

The trains are fine. They can be crowded. Certainly not a den of theives, but watch your handbag like you would in any city.

From Sorrento take the train to Pompeii Scavi. That lets you off right at the archaeological site. We've done this as recently as two years ago. Herculaneum is a bit further on towards Naples and you have to walk a few blocks from the train station.

You have two train options for Pompei, assuming you are traveling between March and November. There is always the regular Circumvesuviana train (2,40 each way) but you can also choose the Campania Express tourist train. The benefit of this train is that it makes only a few stops, it's capacity controlled so you'll get a seat, the AC works, and there's less concern about petty theft because they are careful that only ticket holders get on and because the lack of stops eliminates the possibility for a quick escape. The Campania Express fare between Sorrento and Pompei is 4 euro (7 euro round trip).

Here is the 2019 Campania Express schedule: https://www.eavsrl.it/web/content/campania-express-2019

Wow thank you for that very informative reply: where do we buy a ticket for the Campania Express?
You have two train options for Pompei, assuming you are traveling between March and November. There is always the regular Circumvesuviana train (2,40 each way) but you can also choose the Campania Express tourist train. The benefit of this train is that it makes only a few stops, it's capacity controlled so you'll get a seat, the AC works, and there's less concern about petty theft because they are careful that only ticket holders get on and because the lack of stops eliminates the possibility for a quick escape. The Campania Express fare between Sorrento and Pompei is 4 euro (7 euro round trip).

Here is the 2019 Campania Express schedule: https://www.eavsrl.it/web/content/campania-express-2019

You can buy it on line in advance (follow the "acquista online" link in the page I provided) or at the station in Sorrento. I rarely buy in advance so I have the flexibility to adjust my schedule if the weather doesn't cooperate with my plans, but the option exists.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina