• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Speed Traps in France

Kathy

100+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
In December 2012, while we were in Provence setting up our apartment, I apparently was speeding on the road toward Avignon. My daughter and I were going to Le Pontet on a major shopping expedition. I received a ticket at home in the USA for 45 euro. I was able to pay it online using my Visa card... and there was even an English option available on the website.

I've noticed on the D900 (the main road on the north side of the Luberon) that the speed camera was recently moved and I've become much more sensitive to these cameras after getting a ticket.

Today I was flipping through an old Business Week magazine and found this article from October 2013: France's Big Brother Speed Trap. I thought this might be a useful heads-up for others who are driving in France.

Thanks for this warning, Kathy, and the article. We'll be careful on the D900 this fall!

Don't know whether this little welcome-home present is confined to Provence, but the same thing happened to us in 2012. Not long after we got home, we received a letter informing us that we had been clocked speeding (something very slight, maybe 5 km over the limit). As a result, France would be very happy to relieve us of an additional 45 euros, payable online. At least paying it was easy

Jeri, I don't think it's confined to Provence. Here is a map of speedtraps in France, although I'm not sure how recent it is. There don't seem to be many in Provence, and yet you and Kathy were both caught!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina