• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Street construction rue St. Antoine near rue st. Paul (metro)

DHC

10+ Posts
Hmm. I just went to Google Street View and saw a lot of heavy-duty road and sidewalk construction on rue St. Antoine. This is very close to an apartment we're considering renting in September in the Marais. (The apartment faces rue St. Antoine from the 1st floor--American 2nd floor.) Perhaps Google's Street View is outdated, but I'd like to know if that construction is going on currently and is one of those forever projects. We're used to city noises, even construction, but this looks so major, I thought I'd better check it out. So if anyone has intel on this location, I'd appreciate it.

From my Next Stop Paris, RATP app

Oh, dear. Thank you Parigi and Cameron. Okay with the St. Paul station being closed since we mainly walk everywhere but not okay with jackhammering if that's the reason the station will be closed for so long. I just saw a very current little street view video of the St. Antoine and one of the Metro entrances, and it looked fine--no construction. If you get any local updates, I'd appreciate the information. Merci.

You would be doing the right thing to look elsewhere. Besides the jackhammering, there is the jackhammering of tourism. Southern Marais is supposed to have more non-French residents than French residents.
If you must stay in the Marais, try to look in the area around rue de Bretagne. It is much more charming, with great market and food shops, and much less touristy, yet very central.

Well, normally we don't stay or even go anywhere near there, but we're the ones who only started looking recently due to life events that made it impossible to book anything earlier. We do know the drawbacks of the area. We'll probably be spending much more time in the rue de bretangne area you recommend as well as across the river, and elsewhere. It came down to availability and it was "good enough" considering our very late breaking plans. Merci, encore, Parigi.

Latest information I have to add, which may or may not be the very latest: An acquaintance in Paris who's friendly with a shopkeeper on rue st. antoine said all is well above and below ground. That means the planned work and stoppages haven't started yet, have been completed (doubtful), aren't happening in our lifetime, or will commence on the same day as our rental!

Thank you for helping me, Parigi and Cameron. A couple years ago we were passing through Aix, the entire breathtaking Cours Mirabeau was under major construction, a racket everywhere, and it still wasn't quite done last year. (Maybe it's finished now.) I cautioned a friend to go to Arles to avoid the backups and din in Aix.

Hey, as a couple of the non-French apartment renters in the general area (we’re on Blvd. Beaumarchais off Chemin Vert - just at the edge of the Marais - for the month), I can attest to the fact that there are a lot of us here, but quite a lot of locals as well. Also, I can attest to the fact that the #1 train stopped at St. Paul both yesterday and today. We didnt get on or off there but, since it isnt a transfer point to other lines, I cant imagine it not being open.

There's no reason why Google Street View should be remotely current. They just do a one-off survey, which could be months or even years ago. Parigi's website recommendation is a much better way of finding out what is actually going on.

At least on a desktop browser display of Google Street View, the month when the picture was taken shows on the upper left (in the box with the address), and at bottom right.

Veronica, I did know the Google view wasn't "remotely current." That the very reason I came to this forum. There's always someone here who provides up-to-the-minute conditions. Merci, tous.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina