• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Stroud Market, Slad and Painswick

Lisa in Ottawa

500+ Posts
Went to all 3 of these spots yesterday. Loved Stroud Market. Probably bought way too much food but what can you do. So irresistable! This was one of the very best markets ever. Also loved the pedestrianised High Street.
We purchased several books at the small independent book shop. I am so tired of supporting Amaon.

Then on to Slad home of Laurie Lee. Arrived just as Woolpackers Pub was opening. I'd say this is a good old fashioned local. Spectacular views. I love the fact that people bring their dogs into cafes/pubs etc. We are so uptight in Canada and the US. We walked around abit but are saving a real walk for another time.

Then onto Painswick via a tiny backroad. Even tinier than usual. Nerves of steel are needed here. We arrived just as a wedding was ending. Oh were these folks dolled up. Way more than the wedding i attended in Tours. Men in morning coats( I think that is what they are called), Women in the most amazing hats and flimsy stilletos. I had no idea that Painswick was so large and beautiful. The churchyard was hauntingly evocative with the old table grave stones. The yew trees were a site to behold. I had wanted to go to the Roccoco Garden but simply ran out of steam. We were going to look for Pauline's house but I'd left that info behind.
Looking forward to walks in the area when we return.

Today we are planning a walk in Woodchester Park.
I really like this part of The Cotswolds. Howeer, I could never tour on my own b/c the driving is just too scary. It's something for visitors to keep in mind.

Stroud is fun on Saturday! I think you drove by where we used to live, Brookhouse Mill (on the river), on your drive from Slad to Painswick. Yes those lanes are narrow! There is a way of avoiding going up Tibbiwell into the center of Painswick and we were very happy to have figured it out after moving to Brookhouse. (Left on Kings Mill, right on Stamages and you avoid the village.) We live a few blocks from the church but on the west side of the main road.

Woodchester is lovely. We used to walk there frequently when we lived in Nailsworth. Our cottage was at the edge of Woodchester.

I am very happy that you are enjoying that part of the Cotswolds!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina