• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Help Needed Surprise chance to go to Ireland! Help!

crayzathomemama

10+ Posts
Hi everyone!
Well I just got back from the UK and NL and am just looking at how to and what to post in a trip report and boom have a chance to go to Ireland.
My husband has business in London (2/24-28) and then Dublin(2/28-3/5). No problems with the London part but never have been to Ireland. He can extend his stay in Ireland by a week so am thinking to extend to 3/10. Was originally thinking just to stay in Dublin after his work was done (we could move from hotel to a rental) and operate from there what do you think? Not sure of typical weather at that time or how active options for tours might be. I'm floundering a bit so some suggestions please? There are 4 of us--husband, self, son and importing daughter from Netherlands on study break--kids are 17 and 24. We love history, scenery, and literature and have some Irish background but we do love a country walk too. In the slow travel spirit I am not interested in dashing about ireland in a week and want to keep stress low.
Also does anyone know Stauntons on the Green in Dublin? need to be near Baggot St and St Stephens Green for the work part of trip considering them as they have a family room. Also saw a rental on tripadvisor in Stoneybatter? good location? https://www.tripadvisor.com/Vacatio...ity_10_Mins_by_Tram-Dublin_County_Dublin.html
Thank you!
Jane

Always seemed a busy tourist scene, though summer was obviously stronger. I doubt the tours stop

St Stephens Green is a good location, with a decent small park, and puts you in a good fairly central location. Never stayed at Stauntons.

Worth taking in some live music, with plenty of options, especially on Sundays. I will recommend the somewhat touristy, yet still pretty good / true to it's roots - The Brazen Head, a little trek up the river, but reputedly Dublin's (and Ireland's) oldest pub, with a cheery singalong music afternoon

Always worth looking out for art/history exhibitions, as what we saw was good/challenging. Plenty of historical landmarks and Dublin's history is one that is interesting, if not always comfortable.

Fallon & Byrne for fancy food to take home (think Harrods food hall / Fortnum & Mason), including a fine selection of wild mushrooms, edible flowers, great local cheeses, breads, exotic fruit & veg etc. etc. Downstairs is a good wine shop / wine bar to have some light bites, and upstairs restaurant meant to be good.

I can recommend a number of restaurants heading 10 mins walk out of the city in the same Camden St area Camden Kitchen (French/Spanish bistro), Green19 (Irish bistro - quite tight seating, but good honest food / pricing), Neon - thai street food styled, centred around a large communal table - good value & good vibe. The only place I'd recommend in the Temple Bar area (a tourist trap on the whole), is the Elephant and Castle, for their chicken in vinegar, which has been popular locally for decades.

It looks like the wonderful Seagrass has become OneBistro, so no idea if it's as good. Sadly my favourite Italian restaurant outside of Italy 'Il Primo' shut a couple of years ago.

Plenty of other good places (the food scene was surprisingly good), but also a few pretty average places. A good number of more upmarket places we didn't try, but work contacts should be able to advise.

Will you have access to a car while in Dublin? Day tours (assuming they are running in February) will be expensive for four adults and it may be cheaper to hire a car for the days you want to explore around Dublin.

Several places spring to mind...
Newgrange Megalithic Site about 50km north of Dublin. The tombs predate both the pyramids and Stonehenge. If you have time, it makes sense to also visit Nowth which is completely different to Newgrange and tends to get fewer visitors. There is a cafe and very good visitor centre, so you could easily make a day of this.
Also to consider in the area are Trim Castle and Hill of Tara, but you may wish to consider these for a separate day.

Glendalough Early Christian Site about 70km south of dublin and tucked away in the Wicklow Mountains. This is delightful and it is worth walking as far as the Upper Lake and finding some of the small chapels as well as visiting the main site. There are way marked walks around the area and the Visitor Centre has information.
Screen shot 2018-01-28 at 11.16.29.png

Most day trips to Glendalough also include a visit to Powerscourt Gardens. These are open all year, although I'm not sure how much there is to see in February...

Wow thank you Eleanor! I was looking at the tours and seeing that they are about 50E per person so a car could make sense. Thanks for the suggestions!

If you're thinking of hiring a car, remember that city centre traffic can be really congested and stressful, so might be best to get it from an out-of-town location such as the airport. Totally agree to the suggestions above, and would add (all available via DART, Dublin's suburban rail system:
  • Malahide castle (with Fry model railway, showing old Dublin); for a spot of old-fashioned elegance, the Grand Hotel Malahide is recommended
  • Howth (harbour, walks, good eating and pubs)
  • Greystones (lovely seaside town with cliff walk back to Bray, also connected by DART)
Have a great time!

If you're thinking of hiring a car, remember that city centre traffic can be really congested and stressful, so might be best to get it from an out-of-town location such as the airport. Totally agree to the suggestions above, and would add (all available via DART, Dublin's suburban rail system:
  • Malahide castle (with Fry model railway, showing old Dublin); for a spot of old-fashioned elegance, the Grand Hotel Malahide is recommended
  • Howth (harbour, walks, good eating and pubs)
  • Greystones (lovely seaside town with cliff walk back to Bray, also connected by DART)
Have a great time!
Thanks!

Hi again! Thanks for your replies! I really like the ideas about Newgrange and Glendalough in particular. I've heard that Trim is nice too? Anyone familiar?
I am now considering moving to another town for 3-4 days to experience another area. Many seem to recommend Galway as it is a nice city and has good access to tours. I lean more toward the natural sites, good scenery, music, and history/ruins. The Burrens sounded interesting as did the Giants Causeway. I'm a bit torn though as Galway sounds pretty big. I mean I was happy to stay in Stow on the Wold for a week with no car---took the bus and a couple taxis when needed. I feel like maybe I won't get a lower key Irish experience. Any recommendations for a town? I'm debating a car but prefer public transport (hence taking train to Galway and using tour companies). Is there another location that maybe has a smaller town feel but still has connections or tour access that I should consider? Thanks!

Oops - Fry model railway at Malahide castle now not expected to reopen until 2019. But there's plenty to see and do at the castle anyway, and Malahide itself is lovely.

County Galway is wonderful and much my favourite part of Ireland, but you do need a car to get around. If you don't want to stay in Galway City, then there is Clifden, a lovely old fashiond town near the coast. If you want somewhere smaller, think about Roundstone which is absolutely delightful and with one of the best views in all of Galway.
Screen shot 2018-02-05 at 11.56.25.png

The Burren with its limestone scenery can easily be done as a day trip from Galway City although would be quite a long drive from Clifden or Roundstone...

Where ever you decide to stay, make sure you do the Sky Drive from Clifden. It must rank as one of the best short drives in the world. It is best done clockwise.

Screen shot 2018-02-05 at 12.03.46.png

You could also do a day trip to the Aran Islands catching the ferry from Rossaveal. (The ferry has a shuttle bus from Galway City.)

If you do decide to include Galway, then don't miss the early Christian site of Clonmacnoise, with its ruined chapels, round towers and Celtic crosses. It is midway between Dublin and Galway and makes a good place for a break.
Screen shot 2018-02-05 at 12.13.03.png

I am late to the party here and you have some good suggestions from others. I was brought up in County Meath and live part of the time in Dublin, but mostly in England. Trim was our local town so I know it well. I wouldn't put the town itself as a must see but its Norman Castle is worth a visit. Also the medieval ruins of the Abbey and Cathedral just outside the town, if you are into history. I would advise (particularly if you are staying on the Green) NOT to have a car while you are in Dublin and see the places nearer to Dublin by bus, train or tour bus. I would add Dalkey and Killiney as places to stop off at, on a trip on the DART. Bray, not so much.

If you decide to go 'carless' there are some great sounding tours from Dublin which take in both Newgrange and Trim as part of a Boyne Valley tour. In fact a huge variety to choose from although they all sound as if they visit the same places. I have no personal experience of the tours but most of them get excellent reviews. For Glendalough, if you don't want an organised tour you can take St Kevin's bus which is merely a bus service and be independent. It used to go from Dawson Street but with the extension of the Luas line, I think it may have changed to going from St Stephen's green around the corner (needs checking). But there are also several Wicklow tours which take in Glendalough and Powerscourt (recommended for its garden - the house itself was burnt down and only partially restored for a shop and restaurant) and more. It is definitely better to have a car if you are going to 'do' the West so perhaps back to the airport to pick one up. You will see so much more and not be rushed around.

Stauntons on the Green is a perfect central position for the nicest shopping area of Dublin (no experience of of staying there I am afraid).....and of course for the National Gallery of Ireland in Merrion Square, the Museum of Archaeology and History in Kildare Street. the Hibernian modern art Gallery and the Natural History Museum as well as the Dail (Irish Parliament) and Trinity College (do go and see the magnificent Long Room there) and it is a lovely walk from the front to the back of the campus. If you would like to see where the British Parliament sat in the years of British rule, speak to one of the nice uniformed men at the entrance to the big Bank of Ireland just outside the front gates of Trinity and ask for a peep in there.

Donnybrook Fair in Baggot street is another nice 'foodies' shop but if you are not self catering you probably won't need that.

Hi Felicity! No you are not too late to the party! Thanks for all that great information. I'm still working on a place to stay---currently back to considering using Dublin as my base again since I don't really have time to do the planning I would normally do. Just finding accommodation for 4 people is very challenging. Looking at some apartments with the Key collection and stayhotel now. Darn Stauntons someone took the family room for 1 night in the middle of the time I needed so that is stinky. I am just going back to see how much it would be if I moved rooms for the one night and took two rooms. Gotta get creative. :)
Thanks again.

Oh, that's annoying, losing what you had chosen! You might try searching on VRBO/Homeaway and then looking for the same property (picture search, name, any clue really or even using staysavr.com) on a site which does not charge service fees, preferably one where you can deal directly with the owner. Unless, of course you want their Book with Confidence Guarantee (but first look at their reviews on Trust Pilot for those who have invoked it). But you may prefer an apart hotel type place, in which case I would say steer clear of Temple Bar (can be noisy and rather drunken at night, especially at weekends but your children may want to be in the thick of the action...) and avoid going North of the LIffey (I just never feel so safe there at night and recent guests had their phone stolen on O'Connell Street in daytime, so it is my personal preference to be South).

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina