• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Surviving Mai Tai Tom’s “Royal” Blunder: England & Scotland 2022

What was going to be a relaxing day checking out more York sights nearly turned into an international fiasco when I attempted to enter a locked museum (I didn't know it was locked ... my story and stocking to it) that was on our list to see. It would be our second encounter with the same Royal family member in the past five years. Bookending this little incident was a day where we’d stroll through more lush gardens, the ruins of a once important abbey, walking part of York’s City Walls, seeing where the man behind the Gunpowder Plot was baptized, getting on track at the largest railway museum in the world and getting a second chance on the walls as the skies turned blue. What could have been a disaster turned into another fun day in York. I've done some pretty stupid stuff, and this one ranks right up there. My thanks to the York police force for not locking me up. :)
View attachment 39218
Beautiful pictures!!

It was a quiet day (for us) in Oban, so I have combined the next two days into one chapter. In Oban we took a pleasant stroll into town on a gorgeous day and had a wonderful breakfast. On the way to Dunollie Castle, we’d stop in an Oban church (of, course we did) and have a tranquil hike to the castle of the clan of the MacDougalls. We’d attempt to drive to a nearby hill I’d wanted to see, but our GPS took us to a not-so-lovely spot. The following day we’d drive to Inveraray by way of a bridge that purported to be over an ocean, some castle ruins, historic stones, a Himalayan glen and end up at Inveraray Castle, where we’d take a self-guided tour. https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/chapter-nineteen-oban-inveraray-in-between/
SCOTLAND-TRAVELS-WITH-MAI-TOM-1.jpg

Today was a travel day from Inveraray to our final destination of Glasgow. In between, we’d stop at a small church (St. Conan’s Kirk) situated in an idyllic Scottish setting, one last garden (Geilston Garden) for Tracy and then hit Glasgow, where someone who had been in the news lately stayed at our hotel the night before. After visiting with a local Cone head, we’d head down to George Square, and then hit a delicious Italian restaurant for dinner.
ST.-CONANS-KIRK-SCOTLAND-TRAVELS-WITH-MAI-TAI-TOM-1-1-960x720.jpg

This is the end! Finally! We concluded our trip in Glasgow by touring the tremendous Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum that has a little bit for everybody, then one last cathedral (can’t get enough of those), the Glasgow Cathedral, and wandered up to see dead people at the Glasgow Necropolis. We’d get a bit of city history at the People’s Palace, and take the weirdest Covid test to get back home (they were still “testing” then). Our three week stay in the UK had ended, and what a trip it was.
2_g_asgow_cathedral_travels_with_mai_tai_tom_1_3def14d3f7e4d85d2a4391b38fa2bd9580857ed8.jpg

Hi Tom,
I'm reading through your "book" here and it's full of great - and fun! - information. Thank you for sharing. We're looking at an England/Scotland trip next summer so there's much food for thought here.
Laura

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina