• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

The Bridge on BBC

Pauline

Forums Admin
For those in North America who love British TV, I wrote a blog post How to Watch British TV in the US explaining how to use a VPN (virtual private network) like Witopia.net on your computer to make it look like you are in the UK. If you run this then you can use BBC iPlayer and other on demand websites for British TV.

The Bridge is a crime drama made in Sweden and Denmark (there is a bridge between the two countries). Series one showed here in the UK last year and series two is on now (finishes next weekend). I don't know what it is, but I really like this show. The main character, the Swedish detective, is an Asperger's type character (socially challenged) and is mesmerizing! All the characters are very strong and the series is well made. It is a big hit in the UK.

I heard that there was a US version set between the US and Mexico. A British/French version called The Tunnel (and set in the chunnel) played here last year and was very good.

But there is something special about the original. Has it been shown in the US?

BBC 4 - The Bridge, series one - no longer on iPlayer
BBC 4 - The Bridge, series two - currently showing in the UK (almost finished) and on iPlayer

The theme tune to The Bridge is Hollow Talk by Copenhagen group Choir of Young Believers (from the album This Is for the White in Your Eyes). Hear it on YouTube. These lyrics could only be written by someone whose first language is not English - but I love the song.

Okay, this is not about travel - but it makes me want to go to Denmark. As do many of the Scandi-crime dramas that are popular here. We spent a week in Denmark in the late 80s and I loved Copenhagen. It was the first place on our "European Tour" where I thought I could happily live.

I was very excited about the US version of The Bridge because I'd read such positive reviews of it. I lasted about 30 minutes before turning it off - too violent and too dark for me!

I don't know if the original has been shown here or not. I get international mystery on PBS but it is mostly Montalbano, Wallender (I really like the Swedish series) , and the occasional Brunetti show from Germany.

Anthony Bourdain recently did a show in Copenhagen - but it was really more about Rene Redzepi's restaurant Noma and foraging. Still, they did a few interesting things around the city that might interest you.

I also quit watching the U.S. version of The Bridge because it was too dark and violent. I may have lasted into the second episode, but that's all.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina