• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

This years Venice Biennale

SMJ

100+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
We will be in Venice Mid September, and I know the Biennale is on.
I was there two years ago, and had a look in at various exhibits, which ranged from quite interesting to "Well, that was completely weird."
Has anyone been to any memorable exhibits there this year that you would recommend?
We're not into strange "concept" art!

You may find the individual artist exhibits in the themed halls at the Arsenale more accessible. Each room or series of rooms takes a concept as the artist's inspiration--Color, Community, Earth, Shamans, etc. There is a huge range of personal interpretations, and also artist's explanations in English that can be helpful to read after you view the pieces. I have a blog entry, with photos, here: https://argilman.wordpress.com/2017/05/18/biennale-arsenale/

You may also enjoy the Damien Hirst show at the Ponta dela Dogana. It is a fun, imaginative exhibit created around the idea of the finding and excavation of a submerged collection of ancient artifacts. In this blog entry I visited that show and a few of the national exhibits at the Giardini. https://argilman.wordpress.com/2017/05/21/dentistry-and-more-art/

I was only in Venice for a few hours when I arrived in Italy and then my final evening in Italy. I did see a few cool sculptures while taking a vaporetto ride. I was curious about this one...

IMG_1693E.JPG

Anyone have information on what exactly this sculpture represented? Who created it? Any other info on this creation?

I'm sure the people in the flats beside it were thrilled to look out and see this blocking their view!
It looks like a skinny blingy grain silo.
Sorry, I don't understand modern art, I guess.

Thanks for the name and link, Amy!

SMJ, it wasn't my favorite art piece that I viewed (from my limited views of the Biennale this year). I like the intent though after reading the explanation from the link. I can go either way with Modern Art. Some I really like and some ... "eh".

We've been to three Biennales, including this year's. Our feelings are, even a so-so Biennale is well worth a visit. We usually spend a full day at each of the main sites. IMO the 2017 Biennale is fairly political - the main theme being immigration and displaced persons, but it's a pretty wide ranging exhibition with many high points (as well as low). I would've been happy to visit Damien Hirst's satellite exhibition, but he had the nerve to charge 18 euro admission for what is essentially an art sale - a big one. Good luck to him, but I'd rather spend my money on cichetti and a spritz.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina