• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Thoughts on Best Driving Route through the Connemara from Galway

Actually it was not so much "white knuckle" for me but it was a surprise for my wife as she thought we were using the ferry. It was fun..... 8 min vs 40 min on the open ocean. The plane is an 8 seater and noisy...we were in the 2nd row and I was able to take some nice pics. Front row would have better picture opportunities.... but they balance the plane be weight and don't give you much choice. Best part is you have more time to explore the island.... and if using the shuttle from Galway you return sooner than the ferry shuttle. I'd recommend it highly.

Are2...... Originally you asked a question about driving a Connemara loop. We did this in May and generally hit the spots mentioned above with the added adventure of flying hawks. Leaving Galway we stopped first at Ashford Castle near Cong. There they have the Irish School of Falconry...which I booked as another surprise for my partner. It was an unbelievable experience. .....

Attachments

• P1030728.jpg
    P1030728.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 12
  • P1030735.jpg
    P1030735.jpg
    379.9 KB · Views: 13
  • P1030736.jpg
    P1030736.jpg
    349.3 KB · Views: 14
@tearendt ....Regarding the School of Falconry at the Ashford Castle. Does that exhibition take a sizable portion of the day? And is advanced booking advised? We intend to visit the Castle and that sounds like it would be a wonderful highlight.
We also are considering a stop at the Joyce Country Sheepdog exhibition along our drive and we're wondering if we would have enough time to do both.

Advanced booking is required. All total the hawk walk experience takes about an hour. It is a private experience. We were given an introduction by the young man seen above and introduced to our hawks. We walked through the woods adjacent to the castle releasing and catching the hawks multiple times over the walk. All the while I was able to capture a few photos and videos. We had a 10:30 am reservation and were on the way before noon for the rest of our day's Connemara drive....Kylemore Abbey....Clifton....Sky Drive.....Roundstone...and back to Galway. We did a sheep herding stop on a different day while driving through the Burren to Galway. It also was about an hour. To fit the Hawk Walk in we cut out the Do Lough Valley portion from Leenaun to Louisburg and back.

@tearendt Great info...Thanks! Sorry about firing all these questions at you....but here goes
How did you reserve your time? Web site? Phone call? Do you recall what your drive time was from Galway to the Castle? We thought about driving that same route, but in the opposite direction. I like the idea of a morning Falcon walk better.
Did you get the chance to drive the R344 through the Inagh Valley?

P1030716.jpg You can contact them through their website...... http://www.falconry.ie/hawk-walk I communicated by email with them.
We left Cong via R345 and R336 to Leenane and N59 to Kylemore.....and back around. Leaving Galway at 9:00am we had plenty of time to tour the Abbey in Cong before the Hawk Walk at 10:30 ....but it was a Sunday. No more than an hour drive. Photo is the Monk's fishing station of the Abbey in Cong....great little walk.

Last edited:

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina