• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Three nights with easy access to Monte Cassino, Paestum and Pompeii

On a tangential subject, we will be in Rome for three nights--May 28-31. Will we overlap?
Jim, I just caught this post of yours...
We leave Rome on May 29th, so might you like to catch a Nagroni or something on the 28th? Heidi Johnson is also in Rome and I am sure she would love to meet you. I still can't believe you and Pauline have never had a face-to-face meet. Amazing, I am glad you will finally have a chance to meet.
Back to your Rome time...are you staying at the hotel by Dar Palaro? Or somewhere else? Our apartment is next to the Pantheon, so if you would want to come over there we could meet there (and Heidi is not far away).

Now, back to the struggle at hand (and the added ingredient to the struggle is that we don't have internet at the weekend house, so I have got to get something going), finding a place in the Paestum area. I thought I found a great castle but then I realized Castellabate is south of Paestum and way south of Pompeii, so back to the drawing board. Ugggggg

Hi, hopefully a quick question (and your opinion is requested)...

I have narrowed our picks down to two...

First - Borgo La Pietraia in Capaccio
Second - Palazzo Belmonte in Castellabate. this property is south of both of our day trip plans, but that would be ok with us. We both can see that we might not make it Pompei, but that is not the intent, we want to see the new areas opened since our last visit.

Does anyone familiar with the area and hopefully these properties have an opinion? Please!!!!

PS. We will be out of internet range starting in 4 hours or so until Monday morning, but that gives you time to respond and maybe pass on your two cents ;-)
PSS. Jim, I had already looked at Tenuta Duca Marigliano before your recommendation, unfortunately the room category we would want is sold out for our first night - most likely a wedding is booked, as their pictures show lots of events. But thank you for the suggestion.

Thanks,
Wendy

Phew (she wipes her brow), so glad that desicion and reservation has been made.

We went with the borgo in Capaccio, closer to Pompei, not bad for Paestum, less expensive, and we took the one and only suite that is apart from the rest of the borgo, has more privacy, with parking right there.

FYI, here is the webpage:
http://www.borgolapietraia.com/

Arianna was a delight to work with, quickly returning answers to my inquiries (w/in minutes!), and the making of the reservation was a breeze. I emailed the borgo before 9 this morning and the confirmation was done by 9:30, with six emails. Easy peasy.

So, thank you for your replies. We can't wait to get back on Terre Italia. This is going to be a great ( so much more than that), journey through new territories and well loved places, in Italy. New areas are Campania around Paestum (we've been to Pompei and Naples, we have also been to Anzio, but that is not Campania), and Matera and the environs.

A caveat/+ to this trip (came from this thread), is that Rob and I will be seeing Pauline and Steve while in Matera. Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait. AND!! we are meeting up with Jim Zurer and his wife. We will see you in Rome, Jim.

Of course I will do reviews for both Borgo La Pietraia and Le Dodici Lune... this is going to be a very different trip. So, let's get this trip going. Ciao

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina