• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Tipping in the UK

This is what I do: The same as Pauline, 10% in restaurants. Rarely, anywhere else. Not a pre-ordered, pre-paid taxi but I do round up, generally to about 10% for a London taxi. I don't do Uber but I think you can choose from nothing to a percentage to go to the driver. Don't tip the barman - something I gather is common practice in America! More and more I notice that people just leave small change in cafés where they are paying in cash, not card, like in Italy or France, which would be well under 10%. And of course, if self service, nothing. If I go to a hairdresser, I tip the person who washes the hair, but not the hairdresser.

Yes ~ 10% for meals is a reasonable ballpark, flexing up and down as you see fit.

Some places e.g. cafes / bars may have a tips jar at the counter. Add to it if you've been impressed by them, but never any pressure to tip

In the old days you might say to the bar person 'and one for yourself' on (relatively rare) occasions, though I doubt that happens as much these days.

I've never tipped in hotels, but suspect it does occur occasionally

No, nothing like that.

FWIW it's many years since anyone has helped me with bags, but I might tip a pound or two for the cloakroom.

What do you do if the restaurant adds a 'Service Charge'. We are going to a restaurant that mentions "A discretionary 12.5% service charge will be added to your bill". I'm assuming at that point the tip is included. Is that a correct assumption?

What do you do if the restaurant adds a 'Service Charge'. We are going to a restaurant that mentions "A discretionary 12.5% service charge will be added to your bill". I'm assuming at that point the tip is included. Is that a correct assumption?
Yes. And the weasel word "discretionary" means they add it on, and if for some reason you don't want to tip you have to argue over it.

Yes, and some people have been known to ask for it to be taken off.
One despicable corollary to this, is as well as adding the 12.5% on without asking, more than a few then leave the tip box empty on a credit card bill, hoping they can snare customers for a double tip.

Tips were added on in the more expensive restaurants we ate at in Oxford and London this trip. Just paid it-a lot less then Ipay here at home.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina