• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Tipping Limo Drivers

Sorry for coming late into this discussion, but he ASKED FOR A 20% tip???? I have never heard of such a thing. If any of the drivers that take my clients around did the same thing, I would be mortified and I would never hire them for my clients ever again!

First off, tips should not be expected, but they are appreciated! If you feel a tip is warranted, I would recommend a 5 euro tip on a FCO-Rome transfer. That is plenty! If you want to tip more than that, absolutely no more than 10 euros.

Jan, what Carole wrote is very accurate! The private transfer is definitely the way to go, and it will save you time as well as possible aggravation. Yes, the walk to the car park is farther than the walk to the Taxi stand, but that walk is only 1-2 minutes longer. But the fact that there is someone waiting for you in the arrivals hall with a sign and that they will take you straight to the car, actually saves time over exiting into the arrivals hall, searching for the proper exit for the taxi rank, then finding the front of the taxi rank and getting into the first vehicle.

The other thing is that while a private transfer might cost more than a taxi, you do have someone who is meeting you in the arrivals hall, and who, no matter if your flight is late, will still be there to pick you up. You are also getting someone who will be very professional and most importantly will not try to swindle you. Not to besmirch honest and hard working taxi drivers, but there are numerous Rome taxi drivers that do not meet that description and will do anything to get you for more money even if it is just a euro or two. Thankfully, today, it is not as bad as was just a few years ago. But the issue still exists nonetheless.

Jan, the driver will be waiting for you when you exit the luggage area. The cars have always been parked right across the street in the garage in a very close ground level parking space so you'll just exit the terminal, cross the street and the garage is right there. Just a few minutes walk and probably less time than you would spend finding the taxi line and then waiting your turn if it's busy. The driver also helps with the luggage which is always welcomed since we don't travel light.

We do tip the driver and, I think, 5 euros for the 50 euro fare. We don't usually tip a guide or driver when it's the person's own business since they're not an employee unless we had an extra request or they went over and above expectations.

Carole

Sorry for coming late into this discussion, but he ASKED FOR A 20% tip???? I have never heard of such a thing. If any of the drivers that take my clients around did the same thing, I would be mortified and I would never hire them for my clients ever again!

First off, tips should not be expected, but they are appreciated! If you feel a tip is warranted, I would recommend a 5 euro tip on a FCO-Rome transfer. That is plenty! If you want to tip more than that, absolutely no more than 10 euros.
He sure did Tony, and I'm sure he still does, as he still has his service in Rome. Stopped using him many years ago, because of this issue.

Unfortunately because so many Americans seem unable to rid themselves of their cultural habits when they travel, some less than scrupulous operators have decided to take advantage of them.

Most of us have embraced the "leave no trace" philosophy of visiting national parks and other nature sites. We understand that while any one incident of littering isn't going to significantly impact the environment the cumulative effect is disastrous and we don't do it.

Why is it so difficult to understand that cultural pollution has similar long term impacts even though any one incident is nearly meaningless?

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina