• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Torino fans?

For the last couple of years, I've started putting together google 'mymaps' for my trips. As you say, it really helps pinpoint the areas that are of interest. On this last trip, I also changed the color of any place we'd been to red to make it easier to remember where we had actually made it too.

I will say that I found the maps slow to load on my t-mobile data & the offline maps app didn't really work for me. In the future, I think it will be worth printing off the sections I'm interested in.

Question from the original post,

I know the slow food movement began in Torino.

When we were staying in Alba more than once I heard it said, "Alba was where the slow food movement began".
Any culinary historians out there?

Conceptually it started on the Spanish steps in Rome, with the arrival of McDonalds, as a means of changing the trend to fast food / industrialisation of food.

I always though Bra was where Slow Food was started, though now I presume it is now based at the new campus at Pollenzo

McDonalds is neither Fast or Food IMHO
Bra it is! Here is more than most will ever need to know (or want to know) about Slow Food! :turtle: :turtle: :turtle:

Yes, Bra is definitely where the Slow Food movement began! One of the most fun times I've had in Italy was on my solo trip to Piemonte in September 2009, when 2 Texas ladies who were staying at the B&B I was staying at (Villa Sampaguita in Asti) and I went to the International Cheese Festival in Bra. We ended up going back the next day because it was so fabulous and fun! The Festival is only held every 2 years, in odd numbered years, so it will be held September 15-18 this year = and it's not just cheese. There's wine tastings and other artisinal / Slow Food products. If you are in Piemonte in mid-September this year, I highly recommend going to the International Cheese Festival in Bra (along with the Douja d'Or wine competition/tasting in Asti and the Palio d'Asti).

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina